We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puffins at South Stack

West Midlands
Level Contributor
155 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Puffins at South Stack

One of my ambitions is to see puffins in the wild. When is the best time of year to see them at the reserve at South Stack?

Llandudno North...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Puffins at South Stack

May/June is the best time to catch them, wonderful amounts of wildlife that time of year, you have the puffins, peregrine falcons ,guillemots all sorts.

The puffin s are great to watch as they do have some very funny behaviour.

:-)

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,494 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puffins at South Stack

There are boat trips available that sail around Puffin Island which means you can get up close to the Puffins (or closer than if you saw them from on Anglesey!).

I think the boat trips leave from Beaumaris.

Edited: 7:39 am, January 24, 2012
3. Re: Puffins at South Stack

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:45 am, January 24, 2012
Edited: 7:45 am, January 24, 2012
Pennsylvania...
Level Contributor
42 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Puffins at South Stack

End of May

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Puffins at South Stack

I usually go around 20th May spend a week down their for my birthday. see alot of Puffins and them steps are a killer down (well back up) to the light house. a realy nice place to visit.

Edited: 10:54 pm, February 18, 2012
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Puffins at South Stack

Just seen about 7 puffins at South Stack today! Easily visibly, even with a cheap set of binoculars or super-zoom camera.

West Midlands
Level Contributor
155 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Puffins at South Stack

I saw three a couple of weeks ago - a magical experience! The first day we had to wait for the mist to clear (a common occurence, apparently) but it didn't take long, and the second day it was perfectly clear. Thank you so much to those who gave me advice re best time of year etc. Result!

Cortlandt Manor, NY
Level Contributor
3 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Puffins at South Stack

I second the advice about seeing puffins on a short boat cruise from Beaumaris. Bring a good pair of binoculars because puffins are small birds and the boat doesn't get that close. On the boat you have the opportunity to sit down and sip a beer or a warm beverage (depending on the season) while birdwatching.

9. Re: Puffins at South Stack

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 am, January 09, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Anglesey