We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Tycoch Inn at Porth Dinnlaen and the cost of the food!

kiddy
Level Contributor
426 posts
290 reviews
Save Topic
The Tycoch Inn at Porth Dinnlaen and the cost of the food!

I have just returned from a short break in Nefyn.Whilst there I visited the Tycoch Inn at PorthDinnlaen.How on earth this little place can justify the prices for their food and drink I just do not know !A lot of people make a lot of effort to reach this lovely little spot especially with children but their prices are disgusting.I know you have the choice of paying or not but when you have not been there before and you have nothing with you to eat or drink then when you are faced with a menu with prices like £8.50 for a baked potato and £6.40 for a pint of lager and a bottle of cider .They are having a laugh!

Mentioned in this post
Nefyn
Nefyn
Gwynedd, UK
Neath, United...
Level Contributor
249 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Tycoch Inn at Porth Dinnlaen and the cost of the food!

Well it's not the cheapest but it's not as bad as you make out, and not a chip in site. The lunchtime menu is published on their website. www.tycoch.co.uk/index.php…

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Tycoch Inn at Porth Dinnlaen and the cost of the food!

Those prices don't shock me at all, as long as the food is good quality, which it seems to be.

I have paid similar or more at other places and have been appalled at the quality.

Thanks for the link cwtch4967 - another reason for me to visit the Lleyn Peninsula - I feel a long weekend coming!

Aberdaron is somewhere else I have long wanted to visit - can anyone recommend other good places to spend time at with good food. We are a family with a young child who loves trying anything and everything to eat (as long as he is not paying ha ha!)

Mentioned in this post
Aberdaron
Aberdaron
Gwynedd, UK
Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The Tycoch Inn at Porth Dinnlaen and the cost of the food!

Those prices seem very reasonable considering the location. Don't forget the pub has to make a living out of a short(ish) tourist season and there are few other places providing food in the area - and they will be as expensive.

Eleanor

Milford, New Jersey
Level Contributor
434 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Tycoch Inn at Porth Dinnlaen and the cost of the food!

OK - maybe I'm not the best judge of culinary arts, but, as it happens, last year we stopped nearby for a very satisfying lunch in Edern at the Ship Inn on the B4417.

Nowhere near as atmospheric as the Tycoch of course - this was just your average, basic, roadside pub. But it was a clean, comfortable, cheery place and I seem to recall the prices were a pound or two less for comparable items. Also, it was considerably less than a fiver for a cold pint.

And most definitely NOT a chip-free zone!

Yes Jim, you do need to venture forth from your bastion in the SE and wander the Llyn. It's back "roads" are tiny even by Welsh standards. We used Cricieth (great seaside town and castle site) as a base and had a super time exploring places like Aberdaron, Abersoch, Llanbedrog beach, Plas-yn-Rhiw (exterior only - figures, it was closed the day I picked to visit), Penarth Fawr, St Cybi's Well, the views around Tre'r Ceiri. There's even a family action park at Parc Glasfryn near the market and marina town of Pwllheli.

Mentioned in this post
Glasfryn
Glasfryn
942 Reviews
Mold, UK
The Ship
The Ship
402 Reviews
Porthmadog, UK
Aberdaron
Aberdaron
Gwynedd, UK
Abersoch
Abersoch
Gwynedd, UK
Llanbedrog
Llanbedrog
Abersoch, UK
Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Tycoch Inn at Porth Dinnlaen and the cost of the food!

I actually do agree with you Kiddy on your comments,however the Ty Coch has a monopoly as there is no other eating outlet whatsoever. After the long trek to the pub you are dying for a drink and so don't mind paying the prices. We prefer to just go for drinks as it does have a lovely atmosphere and is a special place, best to take some sandwiches next time as the food is pretty average anyway(usually a plate full of iceberg lettuce!!)

6. Re: The Tycoch Inn at Porth Dinnlaen and the cost of the food!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:41 am, December 04, 2014
7. Re: The Tycoch Inn at Porth Dinnlaen and the cost of the food!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 06, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Gwynedd
Recent Conversations