We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking along towpath from Hand Hotel Chirk to Chirk Marina

Which Llangollen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Walking along towpath from Hand Hotel Chirk to Chirk Marina

Hi,

Our family of 5 will be going on a Black Prince narrowboat holiday in September. The night prior to our departure we will be staying at the Hand Hotel in Chirk having arrived by train the night before.

Just wondering if it is possible to walk along the canal from say the railway station to get to the Chirk Marina? Just that from the maps it looks like the towpath is on the other side of the canal from the marina and I am not sure how we would cross! Any advice would be appreciated.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking along towpath from Hand Hotel Chirk to Chirk Marina

Bump

California
Level Contributor
43 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking along towpath from Hand Hotel Chirk to Chirk Marina

I'm excited for your family. I love canals and have visited many of them over the years on my visits to the UK.

Have you checked with either the Marina or the Hand Hotel to see if they offer a ride? When I rented a canal boat in Ireland with friends (years ago) - we were given a ride from town to the Marina (by the Marina owners).

Otherwise, taxi would solve the problem (and shouldn't be very much for such a short distance).

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking along towpath from Hand Hotel Chirk to Chirk Marina

Most marinas do not have access from the towpath because of security issues I have only approached Chirk Marina by bost so offhand cannot comment about accessibility on foot but there will definitely be road access. Google says the marina is just over 1mile by road from Hand Hotel. Do you feel you could walk that with your luggage along a paved road?. One of the beauties of the canals is that many parts of them are very rural it than can make them a little inaccessible at times!

Edited: 3:52 am, September 03, 2012
UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking along towpath from Hand Hotel Chirk to Chirk Marina

I meant by boat of course. I tried to edit but time had run out!

sydney
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking along towpath from Hand Hotel Chirk to Chirk Marina

Just wondering how you got on on your narrow boat? Did you have fun? My family if 5 will pick up a boat from Trevor Marina in November (I know, I know - cold, damp etc etc). Would love to hear your experiences. Have you posted a trip report?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking along towpath from Hand Hotel Chirk to Chirk Marina

Thank you everyone for your replies. Our family of 5 are now back and had a fabulous time!

It turned out that the Hand Hotel in Chirk offers free taxi transfers to the Chirk Marina which was fabulous as we discovered that it is not possible to walk from Chirk to the Marina along the towpath...well it is, but you cant get across the water!

Walking wouldn't have been much fun as the roads are so narrow and it would have been quite dangerous. However, we managed to get a taxi back (the Marina organised it for us) which fitted all 5 of us. Think if might have been about 8 pounds to take the 5 of us to the Chirk Railway Station from Chirk Marina.

The narrowboat trip was one of the highlights of our holiday. Beautiful scenery especially heading towards Llangollen. Squirrels, sheep etc and blackberry bushes to pick and eat blackberries from. Some one way stretches where we had to send someone ahead on foot to check another boat wasn't coming which added to the excitement!

We did the Black Prince 3 day trip from Chirk Marina and it was perfect, a couple of locks, tunnels and aquaducts - enough to taste all these things without being too onerous. We didn't both cooking on board (took breakfast cereal only) and ate out for all our meals. Probably a bit limited in terms of variety as there were limited choices along the canal, mostly pubs, but never any problem with stopping somewhere for lunch or dinner.

The boat was very new and modern, a bit like a caravan I suppose. Beds were very narrow and I found it a bit claustrophic when sleeping, but thats just me. Should have taken their advice and brought along some air freshener as the toilet was smelly.

We didn't bother using the heating (September) but if you wanted to heat the boat I think you needed to have the engine running. September was a good time to be on the canal as whilst we saw enough other boats to be interesting, there weren't enough to be stressful and time consuming when having to go through one way tunnels etc.

Black Prince staff were very professional and gave us a great handover at the start. Felt confident that they were available to help us with any problem we may have had. They took us out of the Marina as it was a bit hard to navigate with no experience and then they left us to our own devices on the canal. When we had a small problem (the horn stopped working) and we rang them they very quickly sent a man to fix the problem. Would recommend them.

We didn't get as far towards Ellesmere as the brochure suggested but this was no problem - more fun to amble along at our own pace. All in all a fabulous trip, kids loved it and had a great time operating the locks, holding the boat against the towpath with the ropes etc.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking along towpath from Hand Hotel Chirk to Chirk Marina

So pleased, you enjoyed the trip. Just for the record for anyone else reading this, you don't need to run the engine to use diesl central heating,which I presume what you had. Come again soon!

California
Level Contributor
43 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking along towpath from Hand Hotel Chirk to Chirk Marina

Thank you for your wonderful report. Years ago when friends and I rented a canal boat in Ireland, we too, found it to be our favorite part of the trip. :)

North Wales
Level Contributor
524 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking along towpath from Hand Hotel Chirk to Chirk Marina

Really pleased you enjoyed your holiday here. We sometimes forget how lucky we are living here.

10. Re: Walking along towpath from Hand Hotel Chirk to Chirk Marina

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 am, October 17, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Llangollen