We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

welch castles

Edmond, Oklahoma
3 posts
Save Topic
welch castles

what is the best castle to visit in wales between caernarfon and conway and the best and most reasonable mode of transportation from holyhead, wales

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: welch castles

I would say Conwy, large dominant castle, medieval town walls, Plantagenet and Tudor buildings in the town AND it is on a direct rail route from Holyhead.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,433 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: welch castles

Welch ?

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: welch castles

Not as unusual as it sounds bluebreezer. For many years it was a common way of spelling "Welsh". It is seen most commonly now in military terms: The "Royal Welch Fusiliers" have their museum in Caernarfon.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,433 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: welch castles

My apologies and I stand corrected then Jim !

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: welch castles

no worries bluebreezer :-)

Essex
Level Contributor
28,571 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: welch castles

Oh we learn every day here!!

I thought Welch was a company that made grape juice - and employed many contortionists!! NOW I know much better!!

Edited: 6:29 pm, July 11, 2011
Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
16,347 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: welch castles

Do you want to go to both Caernarfon and Conway castles?

There is no railway station at Caernarfon, but if you get off the train from Holyhead at Bangor you can catch the Arriva bus route number 5 to Caernarfon. Then you could get the bus back to Bangor and then catch the train to Conway to see the castle there.

How much time do you have and do you need to return back to Holyhead?

You could see both castles in one day but you might find yourself rushing and watching the clock all day to make you sure you don't miss a bus or train connection.

Edited: 9:33 pm, July 11, 2011
Fredericksburg, VA
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: welch castles

Of the choices, we preferred Conwy for most of the reasons listed by JimCardiffresident. We liked Caernarfon, but somehow it didn't have the same "feel" for us. Frankly, our favorite castle was Beaumaris, but I can't tell you exactly how to get there from Holyhead. I know you can get there by bus from Bangor, and you could get to Bangor by train.

A website that we found useful for looking at the different castles (which may help you choose between Caernarfon and Conwy):

http://www.castlewales.com/home.html

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
16,347 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: welch castles

Caernarfon Castle is where Prince Charles was "princified" (sorry - I don't know the proper term !!!)

Beaumaris Castle on Anglesey is also amazing, but as Cybored says - how to get there using public transport is another thing altogether.

If you could hire a car then that would make things slightly more easy for you.

Essex
Level Contributor
28,571 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: welch castles

The ceremony for Prince Charles was an 'Investiture'

so he was 'invested' not 'princified' (but I like the sound of that, matt!)

Get answers to your questions about Conwy