We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I trust these reviews?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
522 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Can I trust these reviews?

I'm looking for accommodations in Conwy, so naturally I clicked on the link to see which B&Bs are recommended by Trip Advisor reviewers.

I've found that the B&Bs that seem to have the best reviews have been reviewed by people who joined TA the day they wrote the review, and that these same people have no forum posts and no other reviews. Why would someoone who apparently doesn't use Trip Advisor log on just to post a review, and so many of them from the same establishment did the same thing?

Maybe I just have a suspicious nature, but I feel that these reviews may be bogus. Are they to be trusted?

I've run across this on a few other TA boards, too.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
309 posts
661 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Can I trust these reviews?

I don't trust all the reviews, and it's worth reading what anyone has to say, because if it was brilliant because it had a TV for example, that wouldn't be high on my priorty list when looking for accommodation. Everyone has different needs and desires from accommodation, so opinions are very different. It seems unusual that every review is from a one time poster though.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,895 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Can I trust these reviews?

I know my methods aren't infallible, but when every single review mentions a B&B's owner or hotel manager by first name, and each review is a single poster giving full marks, I start to get a bit twitchy, lol.

Conwy.North Wales
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Can I trust these reviews?

See the Royal hotel Llandudno Gplume in a classic.

joana

Rowen
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Can I trust these reviews?

the problem with reviews is they can be too glowing which can be suspicious, too destructive also suspicious, simply factually wrong which readers may believe, spitefull because the guest did not get unreasonable requests dealt with, ridiculous expectancies, like hotel facilities in a B+B. Reviews can also be massaged by proprietors pushing customers for a good review, thats why some end up with 20 and others just 3. I have actually been asked to put in a good review and the place was poor.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
383 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Can I trust these reviews?

I got the phone #'s of places i was interested in and gave them a call, I asked a lot of very specific questions about what i needed and if they answered them all to my satisfaction, that helped me make my decision. If they gave me all the information I requested, took their time with me, were patient and kind answering all my questions, they passed the test. It might cost you a bit of money and time but I loved the hotel i stayed in.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,895 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Can I trust these reviews?

Gwern, Welcome to the forum. Can we look forward to your review for the poor place? Where was it that asked for a good review from you?

27. Re: Can I trust these reviews?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, October 04, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Conwy