We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I trust these reviews?

Which Conwy hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
522 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Can I trust these reviews?

I'm looking for accommodations in Conwy, so naturally I clicked on the link to see which B&Bs are recommended by Trip Advisor reviewers.

I've found that the B&Bs that seem to have the best reviews have been reviewed by people who joined TA the day they wrote the review, and that these same people have no forum posts and no other reviews. Why would someoone who apparently doesn't use Trip Advisor log on just to post a review, and so many of them from the same establishment did the same thing?

Maybe I just have a suspicious nature, but I feel that these reviews may be bogus. Are they to be trusted?

I've run across this on a few other TA boards, too.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I trust these reviews?

Hello,

Personally I always take the reviews with a grain of salt, especially if they come from a person who has only posted once (for the review). Obviously everyone started off as a newbie who only posted once, but those people who have contributed regularly to TA are IMO more reliable sources -- they use the boards and have a vested interest in keeping the information accurate and up to date, and they care enough about travel to spend some time here. Anyhow, that's my 2p.

Cheers,

Julian

Carmarthen Wales
Destination Expert
for Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire
Level Contributor
3,189 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I trust these reviews?

Agree with Ju;lian, a lot of forums get this problem, one post wonders who usually give a wonderful review and are then never seen again, take ALL reviews with a pinch of salt,except mine of course lol, I always look at them before i choose a place, i knock off the very good and the very bad ones, and then pick out what i want and then choose. The majority are genuine tourists who are posting to help others make up their mind

dave

Conwy.North Wales
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I trust these reviews?

Let's have the name of the place/s

joana

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
522 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I trust these reviews?

I wasn’t sure if I should mention names or not, but here they are:

The #1 rated B&B, Gwynfryn – all 1 time posters who happen to be from all over the world.

The #2 rated B&B, Whinward House – same as above.

The #3 rated B&B, The Lion Inn Gwytherin – most of the reviewers were 1 time posters, but a few had 1 other post.

UK
Level Contributor
3,951 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I trust these reviews?

Have to say I originally signed up with TA cos I wanted to leave good reviews for a couple of brilliant hotels I stayed at last year and the year before in France. I did stick around afterwards, though. Have you tried looking for other reviews of the same places on different sites? How many stars has the tourist board given them? These things are usually fairly accurate.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
522 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I trust these reviews?

Thanks, ChicChantal. I didn't know where else to look for reviews, and I certainly didn't think of the tourist board. Excellent suggestion!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I trust these reviews?

I too am very suspicious of the one-post wonders, even if they are from all over. There was a thread on the Oregon forum recently regarding the 20/20 TV show talking about the reliability of reviews. One Oregon hotel admitted to offering guests a "discount rate" upon their return, if they would write a good review for the hotel!!!

Hopefully you'll get some info from regular posters who have stayed at the B&B's. And don't feel shy about mentioning the names of possible lodging!

Good luck! :-)

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can I trust these reviews?

I found exactly the same thing on one of the sardinia hotels, one time posters giving excellent reviews.

I would ignore all one time posters, and take an average of the rest, thats what I will do from now on

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can I trust these reviews?

Great advice already given about using caution when reading reviews by single posters who never return. Not that they are necessarily bogus, but sometimes intuition tells you if something isn't quite right.

Tourist board, AA and RAC ratings help give some extra insight into spec and quality, and best of all is checking out hotels with forum contributors before making your final choices. Thats easy when it comes to major cities like London, Glasgow and Cardiff, but a bit hit and miss with the smaller towns where forum traffic is fairly quiet.

Good luck with your search!

Blaenau Ffestiniog
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Can I trust these reviews?

I run a B&B in Blaenau Ffestiniog and just to add to this discussion, I actually ask my guests to write a review on this site as they leave, and have written the name of the site on a piece of paper for them, some of them have never heard of trip advisor. I believe reviews are important, and always cross my fingers in the hope that they are good! I also ask them to write in my visitors book, which they nearly all do, but I feel the reviews when written away from the accommodation reflect a more realistic view. My posts are genuine guests who have stayed with us, and I think they are all one time posters - not actually checked that! Thankfully they have all been glowing reports so far, but I wonder how many establishments do the same. Clare

Get answers to your questions about Conwy