We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay for Snowdon / castle trip without car?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay for Snowdon / castle trip without car?

Hi. I am considering a 3-4 day trip to the area in late August or early September, likely flying into Manchester and taking a train down. I would like to walk up Snowdon (Pyg or Miners track) and see Caernarfon and at least one other castle. I'm not going to try driving on the left side of the road, so I am wondering where would be the most convenient town to stay in for bus and train transport. Betws Y Coed, Llanberis, Caernarfon, Conwy, and Llandudno all have their pros and cons. Somewhere else? Is the Sherpa bus reliable? I would be traveling alone and I'm very nervous about getting where I need to go. Any and all opinions on this would be helpful. Thanks.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
57,682 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay for Snowdon / castle trip without car?

The Sherpa buses are generally reliable, and I'm sure that there will be plans set up for the rare breakdown and so on. Personally, I'd stay in Caernarfon. It has good bus links, and the castle will be right on your door step!

Bangor, United...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay for Snowdon / castle trip without car?

I would stay in Llanberis, nice village, plenty of places to eat during the daytime and evening. Good transport links from Llanberis to Caernarfon or Bangor.

There is a little castle in Llanberis itself, which was built by one of the Welsh princes. Otherwise, plenty of attractions in Llanberis itself. Llanberis is very walker friendly, and nearly everyone will give you advice on routes up Snowdon, places to visit, buses to catch.

Have a look at The Heights Llanberis for somewhere to stay that has great food, and a good walker vibe.

3. Re: Where to stay for Snowdon / castle trip without car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 27, 2015