We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Country pubs about a half hour drive from Abergele

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Country pubs about a half hour drive from Abergele

Hi, I spend a lot of time in the Abergele area and have enjoyed visiting some pubs in the area such as

The Harp in Abergele as well as the George too, the ones in St.Asaph, the Hawk and Buckle and the couple in Llanfair TH, the Wheatsfeaf in Betws yn Rhos ( currently closed) and the Valentine at Llandulas are favourites.

Now, I would like to find some more this summer, under an hours drive from Abergele. You know the sort of thing, a nice drive out with friends to a country pub, good real ale and maybe some great food, not too pricey.

I would love to hear of any favourite, out of the way really good country pubs please to spend a couple of hours of a summers afternoon/ evening.

Thanks very much for sharing your favourites and I hope to do my bit to keep the local pubs going

Looking forward to your responses.

Pembrokeshire, Wales
Level Contributor
525 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Country pubs about a half hour drive from Abergele

I went to the White Lion at Llanelian yn Rhos ( just uphill from Old Colwyn) last week and thought, this is a really nice pub, I must tell people about it. So there you are!

We had a meal, Saturday midday, reasonably priced, very tasty veggy option, it's an ancient building with a cosy wood fire, old pews, settees and old fashioned pub paraphenalia.

It had Good Beer guide awards on the wall but can't vouch for the quality as I was driving.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,459 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Country pubs about a half hour drive from Abergele

The White Lion gets a great write up here : www.thegoodpubguide.co.uk/eng/Tools/Search…

I can personally recommend the Groes from that list, good beer and a nice atmosphere.

Mike

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Country pubs about a half hour drive from Abergele

Thanks , will be calling in soon

I might have known that you would pop in Mikey!

Thanks again,

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Country pubs about a half hour drive from Abergele

In North Wales recently and made a point of calling into the White Lion as above, in Llanelian -yn-Rhos

Very friendly welcome.efficient friendly food service .

They had Wrexham Lager on, so I hadn't seen it for years so had a pint very nice

. Marstons are represented by Pedigree and Best Bitter and there is a third choice but it escapes me.

Totally authentic pub, cosy armchairs by the fire, plenty of tables for eating.

The vegetables were very well cooked and tasty, they were accompanied by a dark oniony spicy relish/ marmalade , very tasty and unusual. Might have been a bit burnt but hard to tell as I hadn't had it before!

The food was delivered quickly and well presented but I think the portions could have been bigger.

That's not to say they were small , but we had been out all day in the fresh air and were starving.

The food was well cooked and all that you would expect from a country pub

A very relaxed atmosphere with lots of locals dropping in for a chat ,a pint and a bite to eat.

Unspoiled, ideal to pop in for a a change from the ubiquitous pub chains.

Thanks for pointing out this lovely proper pub.Nowt wrong with it at all.

Edited: 9:27 am, May 02, 2013
Llandudno North...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Country pubs about a half hour drive from Abergele

Have you been to the kings head Llandudno?

Granted, it probably isn't a country pub being on the outskirts of town, but the atmosphere is very country, log fires on cold days, plenty of locals and real ales and the food is just amazing .

I just love the country style atmosphere but so close to town.......and the orme if your brave enough for a walk! (or just take the tram from right outside!)

:-)

I like the white lion you visited for drinks and the staff ,but the food the last two visits has been poor.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Country pubs about a half hour drive from Abergele

No I haven't visited the Kings Head, but its now on the list FP.

Probably leave it until the Victorian Extravaganza has subsided. I drove from Rhos on Sea to Llandudno last evening and around the Orme on the Marine Drive, stunning views of Anglesey and Conwy, passing the show ground and it was starting to get busy I hope the weather keeps up.

I drove almost passed the Kings Head!

Could have popped in, still I will soon.

Thanks again

Edited: 1:28 pm, May 02, 2013
Abergele, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Country pubs about a half hour drive from Abergele

The Castle View in Deganwy is nice.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Country pubs about a half hour drive from Abergele

Thanks FP

Called into the Kings Head recently

And as it was raining managed to get parked in the small car park outside the pub

Very varied and interesting menu, lots of dishes and they appear home cooked

I was going to have the overnight roasted Anglesey Lamb until I saw the gourmet pies

Very nice and yes they were better than average. Served wirh really crisp proper chips.

Will definitely call back this time of an evening for the lamb.

Good recommendation

Thank you

Llandudno North...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Country pubs about a half hour drive from Abergele

Most welcome! Their prices are higher than most but the quality and atmosphere I feel justify it.

Feels like a country pub, but a 3 minute walk from the noisy and lively pubs at the top of mostyn street.

My favourite escape. When in town.

:-)

Edited: 6:32 am, June 15, 2013
10. Re: Country pubs about a half hour drive from Abergele

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 17, 2014