We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

should we go ?

gloucestershire
Level Contributor
24 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
should we go ?

we have booked a weekend away in Caernarfon ,but friends have told us that the locals are so hostile to the English it not worth the trouble .

Has anyone any experience of this or any views

11 replies to this topic
Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: should we go ?

Go. Ignore the urban myths and people who have either never been or don't know what they are talking about.

It is a major tourist area, there is no "hostility" to the English; you may encounter some people who prefer to speak Welsh between themselves - some English people seem to take umbrage at this, which is baffling; if you go to France, people there will speak French; other languages are not a code to defeat the English, they are just an expression of a native culture. Some English people get very defensive when they discover that Wales does not feel like home - embrace the differences, accept that you are not in England and you will be fine.

Mentioned in this post
Wales
Wales
United Kingdom
Leeds.West Yorks.
Level Contributor
600 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: should we go ?

Have been to North Wales many times, never encountered any hostility! The Welsh are proud of their heritage, good luck to them. It's a beautiful area to see, be sure to visit Conway if you like Castles, and take a trip over one of the bridges to Anglesey for good beaches etc.

Mentioned in this post
North Wales
North Wales
Wales, UK
gloucestershire
Level Contributor
24 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: should we go ?

that's great news, as we have never visited Wales we can now go with an open mind.

many thanks for your comments

Mentioned in this post
Wales
Wales
United Kingdom
London, United...
Level Contributor
223 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: should we go ?

I'm not sure that you'd attract any particular attention because you're English.

However - tin helmet on now - without wanting to upset the Cofis, Caernarfon has a bit a of a reputation for being a rough, run down town - and to be honest when I've been there I think it's not undeserved. I'm not sure it's much worse than a lot of small towns, it's just that having such a magnificent castle, and location by the Menai Straits, it seems it ! So I don't want to put you off - but don't go there expecting Windsor (or even Conwy !)

Aberystwyth, United...
Destination Expert
for Aberystwyth
Level Contributor
670 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: should we go ?

I am off to Caernarfon myself at the weekend, taking the steam train from Portmadog,( Welsh Highland Railway) you can do this journey the opposite way Caernarfon to Portmadog or to stations inbetween. In Caernarfon itself there is the castle, & boat trips along the Menai Straits. There is a nice pub/restaurant down by the marina. As for the town itself I wouldn't decribe it as being run down, unfortunately it has gone the way of many towns in that there are few shops, because a lot of stores have either closed down or moved out of town. Don't go there expecting a shopping centre, for that you would have to go to Bangor.

Also you are not too far away from Bangor, which has a lovely old pier, or you could cross the Menai Straits to Beaumaris which has a picturesque castle.

Edited: 10:37 am, August 22, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Bangor
Bangor
Gwynedd, UK
liverpool
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: should we go ?

We are looking to stay just the 1 night, looking to stay this saturday at The Black Boy Inn, just want a change of scenery and hoping to go on a bit of a pub crawl, only me and hubby. Is it worth a visit ??

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: should we go ?

My daughter and her family live in Corris which is in an area known in the past for it's hostility to the English, Aberistwyth even has a road named for Owen Glendower. Things have changed radically today, if you can learn a few Welsh phrases (nostar - goodnight is all I can manage) they will love you, but even if you don't they are certainly a hospitable and warm people. I would encourage anyone to visit this beautiful place.

Mentioned in this post
Corris
Corris
Gwynedd, UK
Caernarfon, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: should we go ?

Your friends are totally incorrect. You'll find a friendly welcoming town full of character and many interesting attractions.

Many new shops have opened and the eating opportunities are vast!

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,454 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: should we go ?

I have visited North Wales many times and am very fond of it. I have never encountered any hostility towards me as an English person.

Mentioned in this post
North Wales
North Wales
Wales, UK
Llansanffraid Glan...
Level Contributor
623 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: should we go ?

Caernarfon is the most "Welsh" town you'll find in terms of the proportion of population who can speak Welsh. I believe more than 85% of the people there are Welsh speakers so as you walk around town you will hear lots of people speaking Welsh but they won't be doing so for your benefit. There probably are one or two zealots about (as is the case everywhere) but the vast majority of people will welcome you (and your cash!).

The only qualm I'd have about recommending Caernarfon as a place to visit is that beyond the castle there's not a huge amount to see so while you're there I'd suggest you visit some of the neighbouring towns on the Llyn Penisular such as Porthmadog, Criccieth and Pwllheli or maybe head to Llanberis in Snowdonia. There are some nice restaurants in Caernarfon, although I'm not too sure about the pubs which can be a bit boistrous.

Mentioned in this post
Porthmadog
Porthmadog
Gwynedd, UK
Criccieth
Criccieth
Gwynedd, UK
Pwllheli
Pwllheli
Gwynedd, UK
Reply to: should we go ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted