We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

24 days to tour Wales and Scotland in Sept 2014

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
839 posts
244 reviews
Save Topic
24 days to tour Wales and Scotland in Sept 2014

Hi Members,

Completed a 22 day tour of Ireland by car and would like to do the same over 24 days in Wales and Scotland. As the flights from Australia land in London (Heathrow airport) we will be picking up a car there and returning there.

I would like some suggestions on itinerary. Do we do Scotland first or Wales first?. We are in our 60's but have no trouble driving the miles involved to do the whole trip as it is on the same side of the road in Australia.Love Castles /Landscapes/old things, not so much on big cities

I could look it up on google maps if you give me towns /areas to visit of course we are looking to go around in one direction only

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
839 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 24 days to tour Wales and Scotland in Sept 2014

Thanks for the feedback Edina. So you are saying it is better to do Scotland first and then Wales. So in saying that you are indicating that Wales is the better location I should leave till last?.

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 24 days to tour Wales and Scotland in Sept 2014

I'm not sure you can say one is better than the other ; they're different. Edna just suggested a good route to follow. Google is your friend - do image searches, and use Streetview to 'drive' bits of road in a few places if you want to cheat and see what they look like in advance. I'd also add the bits of England in between you're missing out as fabulous in their own way. maybe you've already done them, or plan to do so next time..

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
839 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 24 days to tour Wales and Scotland in Sept 2014

Yes Martin Have done west to Stonehedge, dartmoor national Park, Bath,Lands end and up through sherwood forest to Linconshire, York (great place, Little shambles etc) so would only pass through England unless there was something of interest either across to Wales or down from Edingborough to Heathrow as we probably wouldn't do Edingborough to Heathrow in one day depending on the flight times..

Know what drivings like in England Busy, Busy and you drive fast on the freeways. Driving is not an issue to me. I drive 590klm to visit the brother in law takes about 7 hours with two stops for Morning tea and Lunch, hey but that's Australia with not many towns between. Certainly not like the UK wherever possible we will be OFF the highways and on the secondary roads

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 24 days to tour Wales and Scotland in Sept 2014

Have a night in Liverpool , quite close to North Wales.

Would be a shame to miss it, and no its not just " another City".

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
839 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: 24 days to tour Wales and Scotland in Sept 2014

Thanks Leuca,

Any suggestions on what a couple of 60 year olds should look at?. Do we take a boat ride on the mersey River?.

Aberystwyth, United...
Destination Expert
for Aberystwyth
Level Contributor
654 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: 24 days to tour Wales and Scotland in Sept 2014

I am not suggesting Wales is better than Scotland, in fact I go to Scotland for holidays alternate years. What I think is that if you flew up to Scotland first you could then work your way around Scotland, down through England, maybe stop off at Chester, then into North Wales, travel down through Wales & out at the bottom over one of the Severn bridges, thus avoiding the toll as it is only payable when entering Wales. You could then continue towards Heathrow, for your journey home.

Edited: 6:52 am, October 20, 2013
UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: 24 days to tour Wales and Scotland in Sept 2014

Yes you can take a River cruise on one of the Mersey Ferries.

Liverpool has an iconic waterfront but to be honest would I recommend it to someone who hails from Sydney with your iconic ferries, probably not.

That said though there is the Pier Head, with the Liver Buildings, Port of Liverpool Building and the Cunard building, soon to become a characterful cruise terminal.

You can spend an interesting day just on the Waterfront, the Pier Head and the Albert Dock.

There is the Maritime Museum, the Slavery Museum, the museum of Liverpool. These are very interesting and user friendly and not at all stuffy.and they are free of charge to enter.

Some great restaurants and bars

Of course there is a Beatles museum if you fancy that

Two Cathedrals and a very compact pedestrian friendly city centre.

Liverpool is a fantastic place not just for football and the beatles

merseyferries.co.uk/content/Cruises/RiverExp…

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/mol/

And here is a compilation of Trip Advisor reviews of attractions/things to do

Apart from the Duckmarine which sank recently!

tripadvisor.co.uk/Guide-g186337-l36-Liverpoo…

St. Dogmaels...
Level Contributor
269 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: 24 days to tour Wales and Scotland in Sept 2014

If you're here in Wales in September it's a perfect time for Dolphin watching in Cardigan Bay, trips from Cardigan and New Quay well worth booking, sailing times will depend on tides, but weather at that time of year is pretty good on the West Wales coast. Lots of tea rooms and great train journeys, I'd get a train from Heathrow to Carmarthen then pick up a car. Tenby, laughne, st David's, Cardigan all lovely areas. Good sto off up North is Borth and Dolgellau. Drive round to Manchester then train up to Scotland and get a camper van and then again it's what scenery you fancy. We loved Mallaig area, great train journey from Glasgow. Too much choice!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
839 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: 24 days to tour Wales and Scotland in Sept 2014

Thanks for all your responses. I will have a look at all suggestions and work something out on a circular trip.

Chester
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: 24 days to tour Wales and Scotland in Sept 2014

Can I suggest one of the best flights I have ever had. It was from Glasgow to Stornoway on the Isle of Lewis.

The fight was about an hour and the plane was a twin prop so it did not get very high and this gave brilliant views over the Scottish landscape. The Isle of Lewis is well worth a night or two.

Keith.