We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manchester to Wales Day Trip

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Topic
Manchester to Wales Day Trip

I live in Manchester and have never been to Wales. I am inquiring which cities are close enough and good for leisurely sightseeing for a day trip. I have no car, so train is the only mode of transport. I think Aberystwyth and Cardiff are too far for a day trip, so are there any other reasonably close Welsh cities to Manchester for a day trip?

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
16,074 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manchester to Wales Day Trip

There is a direct train from from Manchester Piccadilly to Llandudno every hour.

Conwy is also worth visiting but you have to change at Chester, or maybe Crewe.

Check www.nationalrail.co.uk for train times and fares.

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
295 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manchester to Wales Day Trip

Llandudno is a Victorian seaside resort and nearby Conwy is a medieval coastal town with a very large castle (both easily accessible by train from Manchester). These two towns will give you a taste of the North Wales coast.

If you like xcenic train rides and want somewhere a bit more rural, take the train from Llandudno Junction to Betws-y-Coed (maybe 30 mins scenic ride).

The train carries on to Blaenau Ffestionig, which is up in the mountains and wquite different in landscape and atmosphere.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Manchester to Wales Day Trip

I suppose Llandudno sounds fine, but I have only heard the name before and knew nothing about it. National Rail has the train times around two hours and fifteen minutes, would that be enough time to return for a day trip? Does it have a compact centre where tourists can stroll round for one day and is good for walking?

Edited: 11:17 am, October 17, 2012
4. Re: Manchester to Wales Day Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 19, 2013