We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best sites for wales driving trip? Suggested Itinerarys pls

4 posts
Save Topic
Best sites for wales driving trip? Suggested Itinerarys pls

Hi!

I am planning a road trip from Oxford and would like to spend 3 days exploring the best places in Wales. The stops we plan to make so far are Cardiff castle and pembrokshire. Would like to do a few stops along the coastline and snowdownia. Can anyone offer some advice on itineraries? There is so much to see :)

Thanks in advance. Will be traveling with a 5 year old and two other adults.

:) Rebecca

4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best sites for wales driving trip? Suggested Itinerarys pls

I have done a bit of research and I have 3 full days for this trip and the drive home to Oxford area. Here is what I have come up with so far:

Day 1: Cardiff (Cardiff Castle and St. Fagans) - maybe Castell Coch? and drive through Caldey Island

Day 2: Pembokeshire (Tenby, St. Davids) and Portmeiron to do the Snowden Train

Day 3: Conwy (Llechwedd Salt Mines, Betws-y-Coed),

Day 4: Brecons Beacons (coal mine museum)

Is this too ambitious a plan for our trip? Any ideas on how I can tweak this to make more manageable? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks-

Rebecca

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best sites for wales driving trip? Suggested Itinerarys pls

You don't have time to see Snowdonia, particularly with a 5 yo in tow.

I would restrict yourself to Cardiff and St.Fagans Museum of Welsh Life (just west of Cardiff) for the first day.

then take the A470 to Brecon so you pass through the Brecon Beacons - plenty of places to stetch your legs along the way. Then drive west towards Llandeilo on the A40 and stop off at Carreg Cennen castle.

You could then move on to the beaches of east Pembrokeshire - Saundersfoot or Tenby, for example.

You could then explore Solva and St.david's on the 3rd day, and, if the weather is nice, take a boat trip around Ramsay island.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best sites for wales driving trip? Suggested Itinerarys pls

I agree with PoolLounger this is way, way too ambitious, especially with a 5 year old. Stick to South Wales this trip.

You would need to allow half a day to drive from South to North Wales and then another half day for the return...Portmeirion needs a couple of hours so there is no way you'll have time to fit in the train up Snowdon. Conwy if you do the castle and town is a couple of hours. Llechwedd (slate not salt) takes half a day especially if you want to do both rides. If it is busy and there are long queues you need to allow longer than this.

Spend a day around Cardiff - Cardiff Castle, St Fagan's and if time allows Castell Coch.

Allow a day for Pembrokeshire - Solva, St David's and the ruined Bishop's Palace, Whitesands Bay (for the 5 year old to run off steam), If you are feeling energetic there is super easy walking on St David's Head.

Spend the third day around the Brecon Beacons. When you say the coal mine museum, I assume you mean the Big Pit? If so check how tall your 5 year old is as children have to be taller than 1m. There are lots of ruined castles in the area (most 5 year olds enjoy exploring these) - White Castle, Skenfrith, Raglan... You might also want to drive down the Wye valley for Tintern Abbey and Chepstow with its ruined castle.

4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best sites for wales driving trip? Suggested Itinerarys pls

Thanks!!!! Great ideas..... Any recommendations on bed and breakfasts?

5. Re: Best sites for wales driving trip? Suggested Itinerarys pls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, December 15, 2013