We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cotswolds in Sept. Rent a car or book a tour?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
5 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Cotswolds in Sept. Rent a car or book a tour?

My wife and I are looking to spend 4-5 days in the Cotswolds, stay at a B&B and enjoy the sights. Plan to stay overnight in London upon arrival Sept 8 or 9 and then head out. Seeking advice as to how to best approach this trip. Does renting a car make sense or are we better off with a personalized tour such as CJs? How far and easy a drive is it from London to the Cotswolds. Is navigating relatively easy? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

3 replies to this topic
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,173 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cotswolds in Sept. Rent a car or book a tour?

If it were me, I would rent a car. I would not want to be tied to other people's schedules, and it is so lovely when you get to a village that is nearly deserted.

You'll have far more independence, and will be in charge of your own schedule. Try to get an automatic car--it will be one less thing to focus on for the driver, so s/he can appreciate the surroundings.

Stamford, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cotswolds in Sept. Rent a car or book a tour?

Hire a car. Just back from a weekend there. Fabulous! I recommend "Cotswolds Romantic Road

from Broadway" from www.cotswolds.info/cotswold-tours Google it. We followed this over 2 days. It gives all the directions you need. You see all the tourist places but also some off the beaten track. Lots of extras can be put in so you can take your time. Visits to Stately homes and attractions. Was a great way to see as much as possible,

I also recommend the Telegraph ( an English Newspaper) Cotswold guide which gives insight into the places to see stay and eat. We travelled from the midlands and it took us 2 hours should be about the same from London if not less. Broadway was our favourite place on the tour. Visit Broadway tower for fabulous views. Snows Hill is very pretty. If you can afford stay at or eat at The Lygon Arms in Broadway. Looks amazing! If you need any more help let me know

New Jersey
Level Contributor
5 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cotswolds in Sept. Rent a car or book a tour?

Thank you so much for your reply. This is wonderful information, much appreciated.

Reply to: Cotswolds in Sept. Rent a car or book a tour?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Broadway