We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Windsor Castle

Which Windsor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
malaysia
Level Contributor
207 posts
Save Topic
Windsor Castle

Hello everyone,

I am going to London next year 2013, will be reaching London Heathrow Airport at 07:20. I would wish to go Windsor Castle on the first day of my arrival by NationalRail (with 3 changes line).

But which station is the closest to Windsor Castle by walk? Windsor & Eton Central or Windsor & Eton Riverside?

Are we allow to carry the luggage when I doing the tour inside Windsor Castle? Because I will be going to the castle straight from airport.

After finish touring the Castle, I will back to London check-in hotel & tour around the other half afternoon.

Thank you very much.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Windsor Castle

Central is closer to the Castle, but Riverside is also in easy walking distance. You have to go through security which is something like airport security at the castle. I have carried a daypack, but I have not seen anyone carrying large luggage into the castle.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,640 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Windsor Castle

I think your best plan would be to go in to London, and leave your luggage at Paddington. Only small hand carry bags are allowed onto Castle grounds at Windsor, and there is absolutely no storage anywhere near Windsor at all, unless you are a hotel guest.

Getting to Windsor from London is easy--I would go from Paddington to Windsor, making one easy change at Slough. You could be at Windsor in under 30 minutes from Paddington.

Windsor by Train:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186419-c157699/Winds…

Visiting Windsor Castle:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186419-c157824/Winds…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Windsor Castle

The adult entrance cost is seventeen pounds and you get a self-guided audio tour. Be sure to visit each gift shop as they all have different items. You cannot use your camera inside the state rooms but you can take pics of the outdoors.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,175 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Windsor Castle

Leave your Luggage at Heathrow:

heathrowairport.com/heathrow-airport-guide/s…

Organise in advance a Windsor Taxi to pick you up from Heathrow, and take taxi to Windsor (this is cheaper than just going to the Heathrow Taxi Stand and taking a black cab and there is lots of info on this on the forums).

Tour the Castle and have a mooch around in Windsor.

Take another Taxi back to Heathrow.

Collect your luggage.

Head into London.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,640 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Windsor Castle

Really, if it were me, I would plan to go to Windsor on a different day. You have luggage, and that will either need to be dropped off at a hotel in London, or left at Heathrow, necessitated backtracking to the airport.

Just head into London, take a walk along the Thames, or a HoHo bus ride. Leave Windsor for another day.

6. Re: Windsor Castle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 20, 2013