We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Armed Forces Parade and Parking

Which Windsor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
338 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
Armed Forces Parade and Parking

Hi all,

I arranged to meet a friend in Windsor on Saturday not realising there is an Armed Forces parade that day and loads of roads are closed and some until 4pm. I need to leave by 1pm to be at Ascot for a wedding at 2pm so need some help please!

I was going to park in the King Edward VII car park as advised by some people on another thread however, that is closed as well as the road.

I have used parkopedia to find a different car park, the King Edward VII hospital on St Leonards Road. Am I allowed to park here if I'm not going to the hospital? Does it get busy?

I need to find somewhere that wont affect me getting out of Windsor at lunchtime, so preferably south of the centre but in walking distance, is this possible? I'm coming from the M4. On the Windsor website it states there is free parking opposite the A332 in the review ground but I can't seem to find it on a map? that might be ok but I guess I will have to get there really early?

Any help will be much appreiated! Thanks!!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
338 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Armed Forces Parade and Parking

PS just seen the Centrica park and ride is operating from 8:30 to 11:30 so would this be a good option?

thanks!

Maidenhead, United...
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Armed Forces Parade and Parking

This link explains how the Hospital Car Park operates for the General Public on Bank Holiday's, weekends etc., it does get busy there

www.rbwm.gov.uk/web/parking_king_edward.htm

Centrica details -

rbwm.gov.uk/public/tdbus_courtneybuses_Centr…

Edited: 8:23 am, May 15, 2012
Maidenhead, United...
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Armed Forces Parade and Parking

Sorry, this is the Hospital Link... now correct link for you...

rbwm.gov.uk/web/parking_king_edward_vii_hosp…

Edited: 9:28 am, May 15, 2012
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
338 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Armed Forces Parade and Parking

thanks, i think the park and ride might be my best option of getting in and out on time.

Thank you!

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,832 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Armed Forces Parade and Parking

If you are not going to view all the festivities, perhaps you and your friend could relocate your meet-up to a more...sedate location?

Cookham has some lovely restaurants, like The Ferry, right on the river.

http://www.theferry.co.uk/

Or you could even change your meeting place to Ascot.

I am sure things will be far quieter there, than in Windsor.

Maidenhead, United...
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Armed Forces Parade and Parking

Hi,

Just a thought, If you are thinking of changing your meeting place closer to Ascot, Stirrups may be of interest...

http://www.stirrupshotel.co.uk

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
338 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Armed Forces Parade and Parking

Hi, I had a look for things to do in Ascot and there didnt seem to be much there? My friend is coming on the train from London and I'm driving from the west so needs to be a fairly central place for both of us. That's why I thought Windsor, until I realised it was the parade day. I think it should be ok if I use the Centrica park and ride as the route down to Ascot from that side of town doesnt seem to include any of the closed roads and i'll be leaving soon after the parade. I think if i leave by 12:30 (ie get the 12:15 bus back to my car) i should make it to Ascot for 1:30??

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,821 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Armed Forces Parade and Parking

Yes, that should be plenty of time.

If she's catching the train from Paddington, you could of course arrange to meet her at Slough station ... plenty of parking and you can hop on the train to visit Windsor itself (she'd need to change trains at Slough). This doesn't work if she's catching the train from Waterloo.

Slough to Ascot should take less than 1/2 hour.

9. Re: Armed Forces Parade and Parking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:42 pm, June 21, 2013