We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Windsor Castle on Thursday or Saturday

Which Windsor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City, Kansas
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Windsor Castle on Thursday or Saturday

Hello,

We are arriving in London on Wednesday from the US. Would you suggest visiting Windsor Castle on Thursday or Saturday? We'd like to seethe changing of the guard. Any advantage/disadvantage to either day?

Thank you!

Edited: 10:23 am, October 11, 2011
UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Windsor Castle on Thursday or Saturday

Dunno about CoTG , I presume you have looked that up and its on both days, but if you go on a Sat, assuming its sometime in the next month or two, you'll hit all the Christmas shoppers , so go on Thursday.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,383 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Windsor Castle on Thursday or Saturday

Changing of the Guard at Windsor takes place on odd numbered days in October, so Thursday, Oct. 13, and Sat. Oct. 15 would be good days to see the COG.

I think it will be less crowded on Thursday, so I would go then.

Visiting Windsor Castle:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186419-c157824/Winds…

Getting to Windsor by train:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186419-c157699/Winds…

Hope you have a wonderful time in Windsor!

Kansas City, Kansas
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Windsor Castle on Thursday or Saturday

Thank you for your help. I should have stated more clearly that we arrive tomorrow, which is Wednesday.

We plan to see the main tourist sites in London and were debating spending the weekend with the crowds in London or the crowds in Windsor and possibly Hampton Court. We will be based in London and have five full days to tour.

These forums have been most helpful in our planning. Thanks to all who take the time to contribute.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,383 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Windsor Castle on Thursday or Saturday

Are you thinking of trying to do both Windsor Castle and Hampton Court Palace in the same day?

Transportation between the two is not very convenient. It actually works out faster to train back into London and out again. You'd have to start out very early, and then your eye would be on the clock the entire day.

Both are worth a visit, but combining them is usually not a good idea.

Kansas City, Kansas
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Windsor Castle on Thursday or Saturday

Based on what I read here in the forums we will do them on separate days.

Thanks again.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,132 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Windsor Castle on Thursday or Saturday

You could visit either Windsor or Hampton Court first and then the other. As far as I know you wouldn't need to go all the way back to London but quite possibly change at Richmond or Twickenham. However, this is cramming and I feel as though you need a day for both places. Once you're in Windsor have a look at the Long Walk and visit Eton on the opposite side of the River Thames. Sadly, many visitors to Windsor miss out on these places.

Edited: 9:25 am, October 12, 2011
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,383 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Windsor Castle on Thursday or Saturday

It really isn't recommended to do both in one day. Windsor to Hampton Court takes 2-3 changes on the train, unless you go into London, which is actually the most expedient.

For example, you could leave Windsor for Hampton Court at 11:20, and you'd need to train to Clapham Junction, then get on a train to Suriton, and then at Surbiton go to HCP. This takes 1 hour and 21 minutes.

Going via Richmond or Twickenham involves multiple changes, and takes longer. 1 1/2 hours.

As I have said, if going by public transport, it is not easy.

I still would not do both even if I could drive directly from one to the other because they both have so much to see.

Please see the article "What Else is there to do in Windsor" under top questions, upper right hand side of this page to explore your other options.

Kansas City, Kansas
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Windsor Castle on Thursday or Saturday

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions. We are on the train to Windsor now. It's a beautiful day, and we will be on time to see the changing of the guard.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,132 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Windsor Castle on Thursday or Saturday

I hope you enjoy yourselves in my home town

10. Re: Windsor Castle on Thursday or Saturday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 am, October 26, 2012