We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week in Windsor??

Which Windsor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
A week in Windsor??

We are planning a 2 week holiday in June/July this year (2 adults and 3 kids under 6). We'd like to go to Legoland at least one day, maybe 2 - as we have a serious Lego fan in our 5 year old. And I have found decent priced vouchers which makes the 2nd day more attractive.

The options include spending a whole week in Windsor, travelling to London for a few of those days, then 1 or 2 days at legoland...or spending a week in London and visiting Legoland from the Cotswolds (where it would be about a 1.5 hour drive I think) later in the holiday.

My husband thinks that a week in Windsor would be too boring. And it is still an hour to London.

As far as what we like to see etc - we like castles, gardens...and space. It is the thought of a small apartment in London for a week that is a bit daunting for us.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Sue

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,519 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A week in Windsor??

You'd be better off in Windsor or London than the Cotswolds with regard to Legoland. When I drive out of Windsor and see the traffic stacking up for literally miles to get in to the park--well, I wouldn't wish that on three youngsters who have already spent an hour and a half in a car.

Two days spent in Legoland means 5 days in Windsor. In Windsor you can...

1) Tour the Castle

2) See the Changing of the Guard

3) Walk along the Thames, and feed the swans

4) Walk in Windsor Great Park on the Long Walk and perhaps see the herd of deer there

5) Go on a river cruise, rowboat ride or motorboat ride

6) Walking in Eton (across the pedestrian bridge)

You could take off for two more days to the Cotswolds, and just stay there and explore, if that appeals to you.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A week in Windsor??

Thanks so much for the reply. We will have a car and I have been looking at the maps. I think the quickest ay into London would be to drive to Slough (?10-15 mins) and park at the station, it looks about 20-30 mins train to london from there. So we could do that for a couple of days.

I also see that Hampton Court and Kew Gardens aren't too far either. So in addition to Windsor Castle and (of course) Legoland, I think that should make a reasonable week.

I guess if we are staying in downtown Windsor it will be a bit "suburban" but I think being able to get a 3 bedroom apartment and have access to all those places will be a nice balance.

Thanks again!

Sue

PS Any advice re: carparking at Slough station or Windsor Castle area?

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,519 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A week in Windsor??

You can take the train to London right out of Windsor, if you are staying there; there are two stations--the Windsor and Eton Station, which is closer to the Castle, goes to Slough, where you can change trains for Paddington. The whole journey can take under 35 minutes.

If you would like a direct journey, or have outings planned near Waterloo, you can walk a bit further down to the Windsor and Eton Riverside Station, which has direct service to Waterloo. The journey time is a bit longer than service to Paddington.

It's certainly possible to drive up and park in Slough, but I can't see any advantage to doing it. Slough is not that attractive, it costs 6.50 GBP a day to park. The train from Windsor costs less than a pound more than from Slough.

If you have a car, a hope you also have lodging with parking, as parking in Windsor is almost always paid parking.

Here's a link to parking in Windsor...

http://www.thamesweb.co.uk/parking/index.html

If you have a car, and would like to get the kids out for a nice walk, a couple of other places I can recommend are Virginia Water and Savill Gardens, both part of the Royal Landscape. Virginia Water is free, except for parking.

http://www.theroyallandscape.co.uk/

Edited: 11:43 am, April 25, 2011
Maidenhead, United...
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A week in Windsor??

If you are in Windsor for a week and you have a car; a visit to Cliveden House may be of interest to you. Take a look -

…plus.com/laceygreen/days/cliveden/index.htm

Approx 8 mile drive from Windsor (around 20 mins or so).

You can hire a rowing boat by the hour for a river trip or take an organised boat trip. The woodlands are a great place for a family to explore. There is also a maze, which is newly opened and great fun to get 'lost' in and let off 'steam'.

The National Trust run Cliveden. www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-cliveden

Last time I was there - £9.00 entry for Adults and £4.50 children. But you can also purchase a family entry ticket.

Parking is Free and there are lots of picnic areas.

Enjoy your time in Royal Windsor.

Edited: 12:48 pm, April 25, 2011
5. Re: A week in Windsor??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 am, October 29, 2012