We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Round Tower at Windsor Castle

Which Windsor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Round Tower at Windsor Castle

Anyone done this tour? We will be in UK at end of August and I saw this tour and it seemed interesting. Any suggestions?

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,783 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Round Tower at Windsor Castle

No, I don't think anyone will have yet, as they don't start til August 1st. I'm hoping to at some point, but don't know when.

Maidenhead, United...
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Round Tower at Windsor Castle

This tour should take about 45 mins, apparently children under 11 years will not be admitted. This site gives full details -

www.royalcollection.org.uk

You will need a head for heights and lots of energy as there are 200 spiral steps to climb !!!

I am also hoping to do this tour at some point.

Enjoy your visit to Royal Windsor.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,783 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Round Tower at Windsor Castle

I can feel a Trip Advisor Windsor Castle Tour meet coming on! (With a pub meet afterwards to celebrate the achievement :-) )

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,640 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Round Tower at Windsor Castle

I shouldn't think you will be allowed into the round tower, as that is a repository for historical documents and is a climate controlled environment. (or so a docent at Windsor told me when last I went)

I think the main draw for the tower is the exceptional view it will provide. The following link is an article that provides more information about the tour--I find it interesting that the tower as we know it did not exist until 1820, when George IV remodeled Windsor. It was quite a bit shorter before then.

www.royalcollection.org.uk/default.asp…

Other Windsor Castle tours that may be of interest: a grounds tour is free, and led by a docent who meets visitors by the audio guide kiosk. As many visitors are keen to start their tour immediately, most grounds tours have very few participants. There is also a kitchen tour, (not free) which is fairly interesting, but I think you would have to be really interested in the culinary arts, and or providing food to vast crowds of dignitaries. If that is not the case, the Tudor kitchens at Hampton Court Palace would suit you better.

5. Re: Round Tower at Windsor Castle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, October 30, 2012