We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Castle Car Park Thames Avenue AVOID AVOID due to clamping

Which Windsor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Windsor, United...
Level Contributor
171 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Castle Car Park Thames Avenue AVOID AVOID due to clamping

I drove past the car park behind the Theatre Royal as I do 4 times daily minimum and just could not bear the usual sight any longer and hope by posting on tripadvisor other people will avoiding using the car park ( the locals certainly do ).

The car park is privately owned ( no sign that says it's actual name) and is directly opposite the back door of the Theatre.

Every single time/day I drive by I see cars clamped by overstaying the time and the release fee is horrendous. This morning I saw a young swedish family with little kids being the victims and it is mostly tourists/out of towners being hit. It does create such a bad impression of Windsor, especially at there are so many decent car parks around and ALL of them cheaper too.

How this company gets away with it is a mystery and can not believe the council gets nothing done about it.

Anyway AVOID at all costs, the car park across the street behind Brown restaurant/public toilets is perfectly ok and does NOT clamp and there are others in the area ( Alexandra Garden, King Edward Shopping Centre, Vicoria Street are some of them)

Avoid the Thames Avenue car park like the plague if you want to have an enjoyable time in Windsor.

qype.co.uk/place/231300-car-park-management-…

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,821 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Castle Car Park Thames Avenue AVOID AVOID due to clamping

I didn't know there was a car park there, but as you say, it's privately owned.

Car parking generally is horrendous in Windsor, and contrary to what you've said, I think Windsor is expensive for parking.

But for our visitors, here's a map of car parks.

www.rbwm.gov.uk/web/parking_windsor_area.htm

Windsor, United...
Level Contributor
171 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Castle Car Park Thames Avenue AVOID AVOID due to clamping

I did not say Windsor was cheap for parking ( I most certainly isn't unless compared to London LOL ) I said the OTHER car parks were cheaper than Castle Car park.

They have really cranked up prices recently at the King Edward car park but to everybodies annoyance the lifts keeps breaking down frequently affecting getting your trolley from supermarket to car.

Even more crazy they put the shopmobility on a floor in the car park that has no direct access to King Edward Shopping Centre like level 4 so anybody not mobile has to wait for the lift.

On top of that, the parking and the up and down ramps are extremely tight that most people create damage to their cars weekly( popular discussion subject amongst locals too, how much damage did you do this week in the car park). Of course you can try and park elsewhere but we don't have many supermarkets in Windsor.

The surrounding streets have had big restrictions imposed ( residents only/timelimits etc) so I am not surprised so many shops have closed down recently, as well as the recession the lack of reasonable parking must affect business.

Other than that Windsor is a lovely town so please let nobody be discouraged to come and visit !!

Windsor, United...
Level Contributor
171 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Castle Car Park Thames Avenue AVOID AVOID due to clamping

this contains some interesting advice

forums.pepipoo.com/index.php…

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,817 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Castle Car Park Thames Avenue AVOID AVOID due to clamping

So if you park your car and pay for it and return before it runs out you will be OK.

Not rocket science is it, and before anybody asks yes I have been done for overstaying in a car park. And yes I payed up because I chose to turn up late.

ian480.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,575 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Castle Car Park Thames Avenue AVOID AVOID due to clamping

True, but there is a difference between getting a simple parking fine for overstaying in a car park, and getting clamped by people who are deliberately looking for a way to extort money out of you.

Is the penalty for overstaying clearly on display ?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Castle Car Park Thames Avenue AVOID AVOID due to clamping

FWIW I paid £4.20 for 5 hours in the car park at the back of the ferris wheel on saturday. A 5 minute walk into the centre. and about 1/2 the rate there as I compared with the one behind Browns as we walked by. And I'm guessing substantially less than the private one.

on a different subject the recorded announcement on the ferris wheel indicated it was stopping in November. Is that just for the winter or for good ?.

Soller, Spain
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Castle Car Park Thames Avenue AVOID AVOID due to clamping

I always use the Alexandra Road car park (by the Windsor Eye) as I have a residents card which gives me a cheaper rate, but I think it does work out cheaper than other car parks and generally it's easier to park there, except for yesterday when there was a charity event in the park. They took way too long to open up the overflow parking. For the last few years they have removed the Windsor Eye for the winter but I presume it will be back again next

year. The bungee jump also goes for the winter but I presume the ice rink will be back again.

8. Re: Castle Car Park Thames Avenue AVOID AVOID due to clamping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 07, 2010