We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what's around Windsor castle?

Woodridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
65 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
what's around Windsor castle?

Hi!

I'm going to see Windsor castle next Thursday. I was planning to go there for the whole day, but I'm guessing the castle itself is gonna take only about 3 hours. Is there anything else interesting near the castle that is worth seeing?

I'm planning to take the tube from the downtown area and then prefer just walking around the castle.

Thanks in advance!

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,886 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what's around Windsor castle?

Hi Lily,

First off, you can't take the tube to Windsor, as there isn't one. You can take the train either from Paddington or Waterloo.

You could explore Windsor Great Park; there are boat trips along the river. Just over the river is Eton and its colleges.

There is a hop on-off bus which can take you around the sights:

…city-sightseeing.com/images/library/media/i…

You can get a combined bus and river boat trip ticket.

I would have thought that a leisurely breakfast, then by the time you get to Windsor (30 / 40 mins on the train), look around the castle, look around the town, boat trip, over to Eton, and something to eat, you'll have spent most of the day there.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what's around Windsor castle?

"I'm planning to take the tube "

What guide book are you using? Ask for your money back.

Depending where you are staying in London, leave from either Paddington or Waterloo by train.

There is a modern shopping centre and a lot of tourist tat around the castle. You can also walk along the river (well, the banks), rent a self-drive boat, or go on a boat trip.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,526 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: what's around Windsor castle?

The star of Extras - Slough - is nearby

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,526 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: what's around Windsor castle?

Extras? - I mean "The Office"

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what's around Windsor castle?

Re visiting slough, this reminds me of the old radio show that had a section 'misleading advice for tourists' the only one of which I can recall is 'when entering a tube train, it is customary to shake hands with all the occupants of your carriage'.

Pickering England
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what's around Windsor castle?

"Whats around Windsor Castle?"-answer a wall.!!!!

Seriously do not underestimate the time a visit to the Castle will take-we were there for over 4 hours.

After the Castle and a stroll around the town(avoiding the tourist tat) we were ready for wine and nibbles around 6.00pm

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what's around Windsor castle?

Windosor itself has a rash of little gift shops an so on, and a couple of pretty stations, but apart from that is quite dull, IMO.

Just over the river is Eton, with the famous school and a couple of restaurants.

8. Re: what's around Windsor castle?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 am, September 30, 2009