We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wetherspoon Pubs & Children

Which Windsor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
71 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Wetherspoon Pubs & Children

My kids are ages 14 and 9 and neither my husband or I drink. A friend with kids who lives in London recommended Wetherspoon pubs as a good place to eat with kids because it's similar to Fridays and reasonably priced.

Are the two Wetherspoon pubs in Windsor child friendly? Are there other restaurants or pubs that are child friendly?

Eileen

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,768 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wetherspoon Pubs & Children

Hi Eileen, I have given the url for one of the Wetherspoons pubs in windsor for you to paste into your browser. There are more pubs in the vicinity and you can find all the detail you need on Wetherspoons excellent website. Many of the pubs in the chain have a children's licence and allow children up to a certain time in the evening. What time exactly may vary from pub to pub:

www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/pubs/pub-details.php…

The food and drink is excellent value and you can check out the menu and special meal offers via the above link to the website. Have a great visit!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,174 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wetherspoon Pubs & Children

HI Leenie, its not a legal requirement that you drink alchohol in pubs (LOL). Anyway I second what Purple says, you will have no problem at least up until 7pm to take your children into a Weatherspoons pub and the food is mucho cheapo. I think you can still get two meals for a £5 so easy on the exchange rate

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,744 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wetherspoon Pubs & Children

(But it is a legal requirement that you have a meal...)

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wetherspoon Pubs & Children

Fridays in US is good and good value; Fridays in UK is not so good and expensive. With kids, always remember that free "top ups" are VERY rare in UK; that adds a LOT to a family meal.

Similarly with familiar pizza chains; much smaller portions - eg one large US one equals two UK ones and no top ups.

When ordering soda from pubs and other places always say no ice. It comes icecold from a syrup fountain and if you're not careful you'll get 50% ice and no fizz; expensive in UK!

At lunchtimes look out for specials in pubs and esp in ethnic restaurants eg Chinese; Asian; Italian; Greek; etc. You can get a pretty good 3 course lunch for half the cost of evening. Suggest eat well at lunchtime and cut back in evening.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
71 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wetherspoon Pubs & Children

Thank you everyone for all your very helpful information.

I had read on the London forum that a couple with children had problems with ordering beer when they were with their children at a Wetherspoon pub, so that's why I mentioned that we don't drink. I wouldn't eat in an American chain overseas because we don't visit Europe just to be able to eat in McDonalds or Fridays. But I am also realistic traveling with kids, so I do have to compromise for the

Any other Windsor suggestions such as places to eat would also be very appreciated.

Thank you again!

Eileen

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,744 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wetherspoon Pubs & Children

There are so many places to eat in Windsor, you'll be spoilt for choice!

I know my husband went to a 'do' at Brown's which is by the river and seems popular.

When I took my daughter and a French lad, we just went to anyoldplace near the castle. With your back to the castle, it'd be on the left - a pub opposite a photography studio where you can have your photo taken dressed up in olde-time clothes (You'd see the women dressed up touting for business, so that's where it is, roughly). Anyway, it was a lovely day, so we sat in the street, and they had a children's menu. I'd suggest it was more British-y than a Wetherspoon's ie not a chain.

If I can find out which pub it was, I'll post again.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
503 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wetherspoon Pubs & Children

Leenie

I think that story about Wetherspoon's refusing to serve a customer with his children has been misreported.

They actually refused to serve him MORE drink whilst with his children. I think the issue is that they are more than happy to have family trade (before 8 p.m) and don't care whether you buy alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages. But they are NOT going to provide a playground or child-minding facility for parents who just want to drink. To this end I think they have a requirement that children are only allowed on the premises if they are eating (i.e. you have to buy them a meal) and it is company policy that the manager can refuse to serve the adults more than two drinks if they are accompanied by children. (in fact the licencing laws give the manager the absolute discretion to refuse to serve anyone without reason)

Whilst the policy is no doubt driven by a profit motive (who wants to be in a pub full of uncontrolled children?) I think it is laudable.

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wetherspoon Pubs & Children

Hi Leenie; Dexter's got it correct; whether you buy beers or sodas, if you're with kids you will be served only 2 drinks and will have to leave when the meal is finished (you won't quite be kicked out the moment your fork goes on the plate!). No one seems to specify whether the drinks are pints or half pints (you can order a pint of soda).

As Dexter says, it is probably for commercial reasons but there are many "social" reasons why families should not remain in a pub for long periods and until late.

Remember these are "pubs" serving food sometimes, NOT restaurants like Fridays. Many pubs however are indeed child friendly esp at lunchtime and early evening. Two near us have "Wacky Warehouses" where very young kids can run riot for a very small charge. Other pubs WILL have adults running riot late evening so do just "sus" the pub before taking in the whole family.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Wetherspoon Pubs & Children

There are two Wetherspoons pubs in Windsor, The King and Castle and the Windlesora. The King and Castle is one of the few Wetherspoons that doesn't do all the cheap meal deals or special offers. Meals start at around £7 and I'm not sure if I've ever seen a two for one deal there. The beer prices are about 20% more than regular Wetherspoons pubs and the pub sign seems to have the Wetherspoon name in very small lettering.

The Windelsora is a standard cheap deal pub with all the usual offers found at Wetherspoons plus the usual clientele of students, families, building site workers and heavy drinkers.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,768 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wetherspoon Pubs & Children

Wetherspoons is pretty welcoming to families during the day and early evening, and thank goodness, as its a great bargain when you've got a bad exchange rate and plenty of other holiday costs.

I took my teens into a very old pub, full of character with a small beer garden on a visit to windsor. It was actually a short stroll into Eton across the bridge and on the right hand side of the street heading from windsor. It was called the New College Arms and it did a lovely traditional fish and chips and a good selections of ales and soft drinks.

It was great to get away from the crowds for a bit. Here are the details:

beerintheevening.com/pubs/…Eton