We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ascot Christmas meeting

Which Ascot hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
N California
Level Contributor
505 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Ascot Christmas meeting

My wife and I will be in London for a few days at this time, and we are thinking of going to the races. We are not huge horse racing fans, but going to a jumps race is one of those things we've been meaning to do someday (many Dick Francis books in the library), and this seems like a time to do it. A few questions:

1) I know the Saturday races may have the more prestigious horses, but is there a particular reason to choose one day over the other? I assume Friday would have a smaller crowd, but would this matter much (we'd be taking the train)?

2) Would we have a reason to go for the more expensive tickets? The "smartly dressed" bit doesn't really fit with the rest of our trip, and I don't like dragging along clothes that will only be worn once.

3) Anything else to make the day more enjoyable?

4 replies to this topic
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,639 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ascot Christmas meeting

Here is the link to the jumps races in Ascot.

Saturday is Family day, complete with Father Christmas and reindeer. You may want to click on the "more info" next to each day to decide what you would like to do.

http://www.ascot.co.uk/?page=Fixture_List

I think you answer your own question (number 2). No need to bring clothes you'd rather not pack.)

Edited: 12:35 pm, October 28, 2011
england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ascot Christmas meeting

dress to be warm, not fashionable, this is not Royal Ascot, jump racing is the coldest spectactor sport known to man, I go to Cheltenham in my wellies and thermals , you will be fine.

N California
Level Contributor
505 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ascot Christmas meeting

Thanks for the feedback. I'm rather expecting it to be cold, but at least you are not stuck sitting in one place for the whole afternoon. A picture of the stands at Ascot makes me think of a cruise ship, so I presume there is plenty of space to go inside and warm up (and get out of the rain)?

Hull
Level Contributor
773 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ascot Christmas meeting

You should be aware that this meeting was abandoned last year because of snow/ freezing ground- exceptional but I'd advise against booking in advance.

If there is a repeat, you could opt for the London International Horse Show at Olympia on these days. Not the same,but better than nothing.

As regards dress, I'm guessing you mean whether jeans are OK? You'll see that they aren't allowed in the Premier Stand, but I'd advise against wearing them anyway as they are the very devil to dry in our December climate if they get truly wet.

You'll be able to buy lightweight travel trousers- shop around; they will be useful and get around the dress code, allowing you Premier access which will give better facilities to 'warm up'.

Reply to: Ascot Christmas meeting
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted