We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

STONEHENGE - How to Get Tix for Opening/Closing

The South (of the...
Level Contributor
463 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
STONEHENGE - How to Get Tix for Opening/Closing

My hubby heard we could get close to the stones - early in the morn or at closing.....

Can someone direct me how/where to reserve?

Also - have info on how to visit Avebury?

Thank you.....

Somerset, England
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: STONEHENGE - How to Get Tix for Opening/Closing

catjammies,

A number of people recommend:

http://www.astraltravels.co.uk/

who operate a Touching Tour.

astraltravels.co.uk/uk-london-tours/stonehen…

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: STONEHENGE - How to Get Tix for Opening/Closing

If you're going on your own, look at the English Heritage website for the reservations process for private access at Stonehenge.

Avebury is open, just walk freely around the entire site/village. Admission is charged for the Keillor Museum, Tithe Barn and manor house, but the stones are in the open. The parking is free too.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: STONEHENGE - How to Get Tix for Opening/Closing

catjammies

Avebury is just a few miles down the road from us here in Devizes. You can wander around the stones at will, entrance is free. You do pay to enter the Keiller Museum which is in two buildings, but it's not that dear. Car parking is by pay-and-display from where it's a couple of minutes walk to the village and stones along a footpath. While you're there, follow the avenue of stones south to the Sanctuary, nothing as such much to see there but you will be very close to Silbury Hill and West Kennet Long Barrow, both of which are well worth seeing.

The South (of the...
Level Contributor
463 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: STONEHENGE - How to Get Tix for Opening/Closing

Thank you!

I'm finally making some headway here!

SoCal
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: STONEHENGE - How to Get Tix for Opening/Closing

Here is the link you need:

english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/nav.878

Depending on when you are visiting, you might be able to see the stones during a sunrise or sunset, which sounds pretty spectacular to me. The hard part is getting to and from Stonehenge-the bus service doesn't run early or late enough to get you there, so you basically have a car or taxi (or a looong walk from Avebury) as options.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,922 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: STONEHENGE - How to Get Tix for Opening/Closing

As the original post is 2 years old, hopefully catjammies will have been and gone, having a good time in the process. Hopefully others will find the English Heritage site useful, but as you say, without a car, it's a pain to do on your own because of lack of public transport that early/late in the day.

SoCal
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: STONEHENGE - How to Get Tix for Opening/Closing

Yeah, I know it was an old post, but I am always stumbling across old posts with useful info for my upcoming trip, and I assume others are doing the same.

syracuse ny
Level Contributor
42 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: STONEHENGE - How to Get Tix for Opening/Closing

I'm glad that you responded. My daughter and I didn't know you could get in early and see the stones up close. Thanks to you we now have our reservations to do so!

9. Re: STONEHENGE - How to Get Tix for Opening/Closing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:21 pm, September 28, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Salisbury