We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7-Day Road Trip Itinerary Help

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
7-Day Road Trip Itinerary Help

Hello Friends. I'm renting a car and touring southern England after spending 7 days in London. Please advise on my itinerary below. Do you think I have too much planned on Day Eight? I do not want to rush or miss anything. Should I move Avebury to Day 14? How does my Cotswold portion look? What is your opinion about Day 14? We are 2 adults and 3 teenaged daughters interested in nature, literature, and history.

DAY EIGHT:

*Check out of Pimlico flat early. Go to Heathrow Airport to pick up 7-day car rental.

*Drive to (and tour) Avebury, Stonehenge, Salisbury

*Sleep in Salisbury

DAY NINE:

*Spend entire day in Bath

*Sleep in Lacock

DAY TEN:

*Morning stroll/hike into Lacock town (village). See abbey. Probably stay until mid afternoon.

*Drive around Lower Cotswolds including Castlecomb, maybe Burford. Try to get to Bibury in late afternoon/early evening to avoid the crowds at the Trout Farm. We are also considering the Corinium Museum in Cirencester, but are unsure if it is worthy of our time, since we have ample access to Roman artifacts in NYC at the Met.

* Hike/Walk to Belas Knap if we decide to drive westerly. In that case, climb the Broadway tower...What do you experts suggest for this day?

*Sleep in Stow on the Wold

DAY ELEVEN:

*Drive around Upper Cotswolds, including 1-2 hour hike between the Slaughters, Morton in

Marsh and the Falconry Center, and (if possible) Snowshill, Chipping Camden

*Sleep in Stow on the Wold again

DAY TWELVE:

*Full Day pilgrimage to Stratford Upon Avon. I am a Shakespeare FANATIC!!

*Royal Shakespeare Co play (YEA) at night

*Sleep in Stratford Upon Avon

DAY THIRTEEN:

*See whatever we missed in SUA

*Warwick Castle

*Sleep in SUA again

DAY FOURTEEN OPTION 1:

* Oxford: Christ Church, punting, Harry Potter sights, Magdelan... (hotel near City center and therefore expensive)

DAY FOURTEEN OPTION 2:

* Spend more time in Cotswolds (get cheaper hotel).

* Explore Uffington and White Horse

* Avebury if we missed it on Day Eight.

DAY FIFTEEN:

*Morning drive back to Heathrow Airport to return rental car

*1:00 Flight out of Heathrow Terminal 4

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!!! :)

Mentioned in this post
Avebury
Avebury
Wiltshire, UK
Stonehenge
Stonehenge
20 Reviews
Salisbury, UK
Lacock
Lacock
Wiltshire, UK
Cotswolds
Cotswolds
England, UK
Spire Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Salisbury Punting
Historical & Heritage Tours, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
New Forest Walking Adventures
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Southampton
Level Contributor
4,876 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7-Day Road Trip Itinerary Help

It's do-able, but I think you need some bad weather contingency plans. Look up a few activities you would like to do if it rains (if that would bother you while walking).

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
5,228 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7-Day Road Trip Itinerary Help

Personally, unless you have a really good reason to stay in Salisbury, I would stay two nights in Lacock and just visit Salisbury on day 8 as follows:

DAY EIGHT:

* Check out of Pimlico , pick up 7-day car rental.

* Drive to (and tour), Salisbury then Stonehenge, then drive to Lacock

* Sleep in Lacock

DAY NINE:

* visit Castle Combe then drive to Bath

* Spend most of day in Bath

* Sleep in Lacock again

DAY TEN:

* Morning stroll/hike into Lacock village and see abbey.

* spend 2 hours in Avebury then drive to Cotswolds

Note that including Burford, in day 10 might be a bit too much.

P-t-B

Mentioned in this post
Lacock
Lacock
Wiltshire, UK
Stonehenge
Stonehenge
20 Reviews
Salisbury, UK
Avebury
Avebury
Wiltshire, UK
Cotswolds
Cotswolds
England, UK
Leeds.West Yorks.
Level Contributor
600 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7-Day Road Trip Itinerary Help

It's very doable, but you may get tired! The Cotswold villages are very close together so with a car it's easy to go from one to another. I notice you haven't mentioned Oxford - you will be very near, it would be a shame not to get a glimpse of this beautiful place.Blenheim Palace is also on the doorstep, also worth a visit. Not sure if you've fixed up your accommodation yet, but would advise you look on the outskirts of Bath, then use public transport as it can be awkward driving/parking, the same applies to Stratford.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7-Day Road Trip Itinerary Help

You can use the Park and Ride to get into Bath: visitbath.co.uk/travel-and-maps/parking-in-b…

Stratford upon Avon has Park and Ride too (not relevant if you're staying there, but if you decide to stay elsewhere): www.visitstratforduponavon.co.uk/article.php…

Same for Oxford if you choose not to stay the night there: parkandride.net/oxford/html/oxford_parkandri…

Look here for parking at Warwick Castle: warwick-castle.com/plan-your-visit/direction…

Edited: 6:48 pm, June 26, 2013
Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
23 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7-Day Road Trip Itinerary Help

Unless you absolutely want an entire day in Bath, use the drive from Salisbury to Bath to see some of the hidden gems along the way. I am biased towards Bradford-on-Avon but there are plenty of villages and towns just outside Bath that are fantastic even if it's just for a quick tea stop.

I love Bath but escaping to the fringes is well worth the time IMO.

Mentioned in this post
Bradford-on-Avon
Bradford-on-Avon
Wiltshire, UK
Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 7-Day Road Trip Itinerary Help

Thank you for your suggestions. Akkarin, I always forget about that! Do you have rainy day suggestions?

P-t-B, unfortunately, I can't change my Salisbury hotel. But am I reading you correctly in that you feel that Avebury, Stonehenge, and Salisbury are too much in one day? If I switch Avebury to Day Ten, should I skip Bibury and Burford and just head to the upper cotswolds? Wegetaboutabit, I put Oxford as an option for Day 14. Do you think it is more interesting than some more time in the cotswold villages? At this point I am prioritizing the Slaughter hike and Falconry Center and Belas Knap. Am I right in doing do? SuzySei, knowing the driving situation in Oxford, I was planning on staying in city center. Even though the cost of the hotels there is expensive, 5 people's bus fares might just make it worth while. Thank you for the other park and ride into. I hadn't realized I'd need one in Bath, too. FuManStay42, I absolutely agree that seeing the hidden gems is a wonderful experience. I will add Bradford-On Avon to my list. What specifically do you like about it? What are some other experiences that you recommend on the drive from Salisbury to Bath? Do you think I need a whole day in Bath? Reviews are very mixed, but I'm sure my kids would be excited to get up close to the Roman ruins there.

Thank you, again.

Mentioned in this post
Avebury
Avebury
Wiltshire, UK
Stonehenge
Stonehenge
20 Reviews
Salisbury, UK
Bradford-on-Avon
Bradford-on-Avon
Wiltshire, UK
Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
23 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7-Day Road Trip Itinerary Help

TBH how much time you need in Bath depends on what you want to do. Once you have done the Roman Baths and the Abbey, mostly it's all about walking around and soaking up the historic stuff. If you are looking at old buildings etc, as nice as Bath is, most of the villages and towns along the way have similar things (old bridges, churches, aqueducts etc) which will be along the same lines as Bath but less people to battle with, and a bit different from the standard stuff.

I live in BoA so I specifically love everything about it :-) but honestly most of the places between Salisbury and Bath have something special to see so anywhere that you fancy will be worth it. In truth BoA may be a bit too much of a detour for you but have a look at some of the places along the way and do a quick google to see what is there. For example Westbury has the giant White Horse for you to see on the hill and the kids could even walk on/near it, but again it's slightly off your main route so it's all dependant on time.

Mentioned in this post
Westbury
Westbury
Wiltshire, UK
UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,936 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7-Day Road Trip Itinerary Help

There are not too many Roman ruins as such in Bath, apart from the baths themselves. It is a world heritage site first and foremost for its Georgian architecture.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,876 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 7-Day Road Trip Itinerary Help

Blenheim Palace as already mentioned would be a good rainy day option. As would Oxford if you spend your time inside the museums and colleges (museums are free).

I love Bath yet I've only ever been in the Roman Baths once, in about 1993! I really like going to the Thermae Spa where you can actually swim/laze in the water.

Bath is all about the Georgians really. Grand houses, ballrooms and Jane Austen. There is a Jane Austen museum which is good even if you have only seen the films.

One of the houses in the Royal Crescent in Bath is a Georgian period museum (I think it is number 1). The fashion museum is good too, if you are into that sort of thing. There are also lots of shops and stalls selling random stuff like hand made chocolates, anything Christmas, paintings of Bath etc. Plus usually street entertainers by the Abbey.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 7-Day Road Trip Itinerary Help

Thank you, all, for your informative responses. You have given me many ideas, and I will explore them all.

:) bibliophile