We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation between Salisbury and Winchester

Which Salisbury hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
746 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation between Salisbury and Winchester

There will be 2 couples of us (50's and 70's) staying in one of these towns (still looking for a place) but want to see both towns and check out the Cathedrals. We actually have been to both but that was 30 years and the younger couple hasn't been to either. Anyway, we will have to use public trans- which do you suggest; the train or the bus?

Thanks for your help!

Salisbury
Level Contributor
255 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Transportation between Salisbury and Winchester

There was a direct bus until about six months ago when, for some strange reason, Stagecoach removed the Salisbury to Stockbridge section of it. It used to be one bus with two different numbers. The number changed in Stockbridge but you could just remain on the bus and continue to Winchester. It's a real shame that it is no longer possible to do this. If you decide to use the bus via Romsey, don't forget that if those in their 70s are British they can use their bus passes.

Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
746 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Transportation between Salisbury and Winchester

I never did reply back to the many comments and suggestions. We have decided to stay in Southampton and train to either Winchester or Salisbury. We will try to hire a taxi to drive us to the other town! I need to find out if either town still has a market. I remember from years back, that Salisbury had a Saturday market, but we will only be in the area on Monday and Tuesday.

Thanks for all the help.

Salisbury
Level Contributor
255 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Transportation between Salisbury and Winchester

You are in luck! Salisbury still has a thriving market twice a week and one of those days is Tuesday (the other is Saturday). Certainly worth a look if you like markets - I live here and I still enjoy a wander round the market most weeks. There are stalls selling all sorts of things so I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I'm pretty sure that Winchester has one as well but don't think it is as big as Salisbury's. Hopefully, someone from Winchester will give you details of that one. Have a great trip!

Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
746 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Transportation between Salisbury and Winchester

Thanks for your reply, Mary! The Winchester Market is on Sundays. So we shall be heading for Salisbury on Tuesday. We try to go to a market wherever we travel as they are very interesting to us. We believe that markets are surprisingly the same all over. We have visited markets in South America, Canada, all over the US, Egypt, Germany, Italy, UK (Cornwall, Wales, East Anglia) Ireland, Finland, and the Baltic region. But the English market/fair holds a special fascination for us, as the history is so old and consistent and even has a special place in Folk Songs.

As a citizen of Salisbury, could you suggest a pub with traditional food? I'm looking for the sort of homely food one finds in a Country Hotel!

Salisbury
Level Contributor
255 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Transportation between Salisbury and Winchester

I think the best one would probably be The Pheasant in Salt Lane. It's only a few minutes walk from the market place and you should find its menus etc. on www.restaurant-salisbury.com. Having said that, I haven't actually eaten there myself for a long time but I expect there will be some reviews on TA if you look. There is another really old one in Salisbury called The Haunch of Venison (www.haunchofvenison.uk.com) but it is closed for renovation at the moment and I don't know when it is due to re-open. The White Hart does nice lunches but it's a hotel rather than a Pub so probably not what you are after. Sorry if I'm not giving you many choices but we rarely eat at the city pubs as we prefer to go a bit further out. If you had transport, I would strongly recommend the Wheatsheaf at Lower Woodford (www.wheatsheaflowerwoodford.co.uk) but it's about a fifteen minute drive out of the centre. It's a big country pub with a good varied menu and a garden but you would have to take a taxi to get there. Enjoy your visit!

Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
746 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Transportation between Salisbury and Winchester

Thanks again, Mary. You have give me some good suggestions and I have them all tucked away in our Salisbury folder.

This is our tentative plan:

On Tuesday we will train from S'Hampton to Winchester and explore there. Then (I have written the taxi company) we will try to hire a driver to drive us from Winchester to Salisbury.. After exploring the market and enjoying the Cathedral, perhaps the driver can take us to the Country Pub that you recommended. and then back to Winchester to the Train Station.

A busy day, but it should be outstanding!

Salisbury
Level Contributor
255 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Transportation between Salisbury and Winchester

It sounds like a lot to fit into one day but I hope it works out for you. Ideally, you could spend a day in each place but I gather you don't have enough time. Bear in mind that Salisbury Market will often start packing up by about mid afternoon, especially if the weather is not great. Also, if you are returning to Southampton, you can get a direct train from Salisbury Station which would be much quicker than going back via Winchester again. Rather than keep the same taxi hanging around, I would suggest you just use him to get from Winchester to Salisbury then pick up a local taxi (plenty near the Market) for the trip out to the Wheatsheaf. You could arrange for him to collect you again at a certain time to return to the city or the station. If you are staying in Southampton and like the theatre, there is an excellent one called the Mayflower. It might be worth taking a look at their website to see what's on. They get very booked up though so you would probably need to book on-line in advance. Just a suggestion! Hope this helps.

Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
746 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Transportation between Salisbury and Winchester

Mary,

I do appreciate your well-thought out replies and the information has been very helpful.

We have revised a bit and would appreciate your comments.

We will train from S'Hampton to Winchester and explore on our own for 2/3 hours. Then a Winchester Taxi will pick us up and transport us to Salisbury - where we will visit the Cathedral and wander through the market and end up at a Pub for a light lunch. Then the Taxi will transport us back to S'Hampton to our Guest House.

We had already looked into the Mayflower and "Oliver" will be the offering while we are there. I hope we can work that into our schedule.

Thanks again for all your help.

Salisbury
Level Contributor
255 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Transportation between Salisbury and Winchester

Yes, your revised plan sounds much better. Have a lovely time!

20. Re: Transportation between Salisbury and Winchester

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:24 am, June 08, 2013