We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self catering in Salisbury

Lincoln, England
Level Contributor
88 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Self catering in Salisbury

Hi - we are thinking of spending our next holiday in Wiltshire and more precisely Salisbury. But we would like to stay in Salisbury rather than in the sticks. Any recommendations as to where to stay, or alternatives to Salisbury (we want to stay urban, not rural). Thanks!

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,725 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self catering in Salisbury

Take a look at visitwiltshire.co.uk/site/where-to-stay/self… and select "area" in the tick boxes in the right hand side menu.

However, most of the places listed appear to be a little way out of town (which is perhaps not surprising in a rural county).

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,525 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self catering in Salisbury

Hi

I found a few possibilities just by googling "Salisbury holiday let", but I suspect that most tourists prefer to be out of the city centre or at an hotel/B&B so I hope you can find somewhere for your dates.

If you can't find anywhere in Salisbury, Wilton isn't too far away and Winchester is only about 25 miles away.

If not being out in the sticks just means that you would like to be within walking distance of a few pubs/eateries and a shop then you'll have a lot more choice (you could start looking at some of the small towns around the New Forest then, like Fordingbridge).

Lincoln, England
Level Contributor
88 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self catering in Salisbury

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Will have a look at the website and see what I can find. I may also have a look at Winchester. I think experience has shown that we prefer to be in a city - we did Chester year before last and stayed in an apartment within walking distance of the city centre. May also think of trying Bath as it is near enough for travelling into Wiltshire. Thanks again!

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,525 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Self catering in Salisbury

If you are thinking about staying in Bath you'll find lots of hints and tips on Tripadvisor. It is all very walkable, albeit hilly outside the immediate town centre.

Bath is about an hour away from Salisbury by train (and I am bound to say that it is a good location, aren't I!).

My husband and I did a lovely day-trip down to Salisbury by train last Friday - a lazy lunch and a wander around cathedral close and the shops- if you buy train tickets in advance they will cost from £9 return (www.fgw.co.uk) or £14 return on the day off-peak. That said, there are some nice "tourist off the beaten track" routes down to Salisbury from Bath in the car too.

Now that you are thinking about looking further afield for places to stay you could also look at Portsmouth/Southsea or Bristol too.

Lincoln, England
Level Contributor
88 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Self catering in Salisbury

That sounds good to me. There is not very much of the sort of thing we are looking for in Salisbury and Bath looks lovely. We would be able to still see the cathedral etc and as you say, if we book the train is not too expensive. I will have a look at Portsmouth, but I think Bath is likely to be our next intrnet trawl!

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Self catering in Salisbury

Hi,

Have a look at http://www.salisbury-apartments.co.uk/

This is highly rated on tripadvisor and it is a very short walking distance to the city centre.

Lincoln, England
Level Contributor
88 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Self catering in Salisbury

Appreciate the link - will have a look as they sound like an option. Thank you very much.

Ontario
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Self catering in Salisbury

Here is one that I found. We will be staying here in November and I'll write about it when we get home:

hideaways.co.uk/holiday-cottage/water-lane-H…

Lincoln, England
Level Contributor
88 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Self catering in Salisbury

Oh - this looks nice - will look out for your report. Thank you for the link :)

Ontario
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Self catering in Salisbury

As promised here is my report on the cottage at 1 Water Lane in Salisbury. Wow! What a beautiful little cottage - two up, two down (with an extra room on the main floor for the kitchen and on the top floor for a bathroom) end of terrace , on a pedestrian walkway with just a small tributary of the river Avon passing by. The only noise was from the ducks in this shallow water. The house itself was filled with all mod cons and extremely comfortable. I loved being there. Everything is fairly small, but for the two of us it was perfect. There are two bedrooms upstairs, one smaller than the other, and a large bathroom. Downstairs there is a sitting room with good lighting for reading and knitting, dining room (with a window giving views to the spire of the cathedral) and a kitchen. Outside in the yard at the back is a shed which houses the washer and dryer and also a small freezer. The owner met us and gave us excellent instructions on how to use all the appliances etc. Once we found our way around the city we got our groceries mainly at Sainsbury's which is fairly close by, but also took advantage of the market on Tuesdays and Saturdays and bought food there too. There are lots of restaurants in the town, but we tended to cater for ourselves for our big meal at night, having sandwiches or similar somewhere when we were out for the day. We paid 1 pound for a city map at the Information Centre and that was well worth it to help us find our way around. We bought a Rover pass for the buses and spent a day at Devizes, Chippenham, Trowbridge, then back to Devizes where we caught the last bus of the day back to Salisbury with 5 minutes to spare! We walked across the Watermeadows to Harnham Mill and had our Sunday lunch at the pub there. Beautiful views of the cathedral from the walk - apparently that is the location where Constable painted his famous picture of the Cathedral. We went into the Cathedral, and also into the parish church in the city. The latter was built for worship services while the cathedral was under construction. It is a lovely place in itself. All in all, a great holiday in a lovely city with beautiful architecture and interesting buildings. I know this was supposed to be only about self-catering so I will end by saying that we highly recommend this little cottage.

Get answers to your questions about Salisbury