We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

White Chalk Horses of Wiltshire

Maine
9 posts
Save Topic
White Chalk Horses of Wiltshire

I'm traveling from London to Salisbury by coach, then will head to Bath from Salisbury by train. While is Salisbury or Bath I would really like to see one or two of the chalk horses. I will not have a car so I'm wondering if there is an easy way to see a chalk horse via public transportation from Bath or Salisbury. Are there any tours from Salisbury or Bath that take you to see the chalk horses? I know that Mad Max tour from Bath takes you by one horse on their Stonehenge tour but I already have a Stonehenge tour booked that gives you access to the Inner Circle and so I'd hate to take another day to see Stonehenge again. Any help on how to see a chalk horse without a car would be greatly appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
The Stonehenge Tour
The Stonehenge Tour
263 Reviews
Salisbury, UK
Stonehenge
Stonehenge
11,268 Reviews
Amesbury, UK
London
London
England, UK
Salisbury
Salisbury
Wiltshire, UK
Spire Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Salisbury Punting
Historical & Heritage Tours, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
New Forest Walking Adventures
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: White Chalk Horses of Wiltshire

There's a good white horse close to Westbury. Salisbury > Westbury should be about half an hour on the train. From the train station you could take a taxi to the white horse - there's an iron age site there too, so it is a "known" attraction, as it were. There are also very probably buses (not necessarily very frequent) that go quite close - maybe a bit of walking involved. That's all that springs to mind, though I wouldn't be surprised if there were special "white horse viewing" tours.

Incidentally, you might (?) have more luck googling if you call them "white horses" rather than "chalk horses", as that seems to be what they're usually called.

Mentioned in this post
Salisbury
Salisbury
Wiltshire, UK
Maine
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: White Chalk Horses of Wiltshire

Thanks Vicki. I just might do the train/taxi thing. I contacted a few tours that do individualized tours but heard back from only one person and the car would cost more than I'd like to spend. Still thinking about it.

salisbury
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: White Chalk Horses of Wiltshire

You get a view of the Westbury white horse from the train. Its on the left hand side as you travel towards Salisbury.

The others around here will need private transport to reach easily.

Mentioned in this post
Salisbury
Salisbury
Wiltshire, UK
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: White Chalk Horses of Wiltshire

Hi there

They are all within a few miles of where I live at Marlborough (Preshute), Cherhill, Broad Hinton, Alton Barnes, Pewsey, Westbury, Hackpen Hill and the Millennium Horse at Devizes.

You can see the Broad Hinton horse from the main A361 road from Beckhampton to Swindon, the X49 bus service from Swindon to Trowbridge runs this route. The horse though is carved into a very shallow angled hillside making it rather hard to see.

Mentioned in this post
Swindon
Swindon
Wiltshire, UK
Wiltshire, England
Level Contributor
307 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: White Chalk Horses of Wiltshire

If you like walking, you can view them all on foot via the White Horse Trail. It's 90 miles though so time or energy may not permit that! As you can see from my name, I'm pretty keen on the white horses myself.......(I live close to the Devizes Millennium one).

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: White Chalk Horses of Wiltshire

Hi there W H W

Whereabouts are you based? Devizes?

Wiltshire, England
Level Contributor
307 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: White Chalk Horses of Wiltshire

Hi GB, yep, just outside in Roundway Village - see PM.

Maine
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: White Chalk Horses of Wiltshire

I wish I could do some walking as I love to walk, but I'm restricted on time.

Anyway, thank you all for your contributions. I've decided to hire a car from Bath for half a day to take me to see a few of the horses. This was the simplest, although not the cheapest, way that I could find. I'm very excited to see them!

Wiltshire, England
Level Contributor
307 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: White Chalk Horses of Wiltshire

You can find info on the horses here: http://www.wiltshirewhitehorses.org.uk/

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: White Chalk Horses of Wiltshire

Hi again

Well, at risk of upsetting locals here ( no offence W H W!)in the town, if you only have the time to pick maybe 3 or 4 of the horses, I'd say to miss out on the Devizes horse. It was finished for the millennium so isn't as such an "old" horse and like the one at Broad Hinton, it sits on a very shallow hiilside making it relatively hard to distinguish. It's main distinguishing feature is that it is the only horse to face to the right whereas all the other older horses face left. The one at Marlborough (Preshute) is also very small and only visible really from the A4 road alongside Marlborough College.