We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

b&b behavior

Which Salisbury hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
b&b behavior

I have stayed in many b&b's, but have never felt comfortable taking breakfast offerings for a later lunch. Friends tell me this is silly and actually expected by the B&B hosts. Who is right?

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,477 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: b&b behavior

B&Bs are people's homes, not businesses, and most B&Bs offer very generous breakfasts. I think doggy-bagging for lunch would be taking advantage.

If you want a packed lunch just ask the night before and most B&Bs would be happy to make you one up.

Things may be different in the USA where there is more of a doggy-bagging culture.

Russell, Kansas
Level Contributor
586 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: b&b behavior

Wow. I have never even thought of taking the leftovers for a snack later. The breakfasts are usually so very big on portions that I do tell them to cut back, give me half sized portions so as not to waste. But to take it with you? That is strange. I just cannot imagine munching on scrambled eggs later on.

East Midlands
Destination Expert
for Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
2,779 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: b&b behavior

Whilst I have never done this, seen this or heard of it (in the UK), I would not say that it is taking advantage. You've paid for the food (in your room price) so you could take it with you. However, don't expect the owners to have containers for you to put it in- that would be a step too far!.

Oh, and cold bacon and eggs at lunch time of soggy toast? Behave yourselves!! ;-)

East Midlands
Destination Expert
for Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
2,779 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: b&b behavior

Bobelinks

<< B&Bs are people's homes, not businesses, >>

Don't be so naive.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: b&b behavior

Hi there

As I interpret the OP here, they are not talking about taking their breakfast leftovers with them but "raiding " the breakfast trolley for maybe fruit, bread, fruit juice, sausages or whatever to make themselves a lunch for later on in the day. Is that correct?

If so, then I could well imagine the owners getting rather shirty about it, after all, you're paying for B & B, not half board.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: b&b behavior

I wouldn't feel comfortable shoving things into my bag for 'laters'! If it's a decent B&B, you will be more than full until lunchtime so there really isn't any need.

Pickering England
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: b&b behavior

The best B and Bs are run as businesses-i.e professionally.

Taking food from the breakfast buffet to eat later is a despicable practice and people doing should be shamed and charged.IMO it is theft.

East Midlands
Destination Expert
for Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
2,779 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: b&b behavior

Ah, I see. Taking stuff from the buffet is absolutely not on. I was clearly referring to taking left overs from your own breakfast.

(although, to be fair, the odd apple or banana would probably not be frowned on)

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: b&b behavior

It's basically very mean and, yes, close to theft. However, if you haven't been feeling very well, or just not hungry, most owners would not mind if you ASKED if you could take one or two presented but not eaten items.

We have no "doggy bag" culture in the UK except perhaps in ethnic restaurants (e.g. Chinese or Indian) where the portions can be very large and it is quite polite (and often appreciated by the pleased owners) if you ASK to take leftovers with you; they will happily provide containers.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,477 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: b&b behavior

The best B&Bs may be run in a businesslike and professional manner but they are still someone's home - and that is part of the raison d'etre of a B&B.

Even all-you-can-eat buffets in restaurants are precisely that - all you can eat on that occasion, not all-you-can-carry.