We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

homophobia at b&bs?

Which Salisbury hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
homophobia at b&bs?

We are a quiet, unobtrusive gay male couple who will be traveling around Great Britain. We were thinking of booking a B&B in Salisbury. Can we expect to be welcomed? I know that it is now illegal for hosts in the UK to refuse accommodations on the basis of sexuality, but I don't know how tolerant Salisbury is. Are we likely to encounter cold shoulders or hostility? Thanks for your insights.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: homophobia at b&bs?

LurkerDave,

I don't want to take offense. In fact, I don't take offense. I accept that people of different generations and different backgrounds are not comfortable with my sexuality. It doesn't offend me. It just requires that I act cautiously so as to avoid an unpleasant situation.

Also, you were not on the phone and did not hear the tone of voice. I asked for a double bed (singular). As an American with a standard American accent, I am obviously a native speaker of English, and there could be no question whether I understand the difference between singular and plural. The gentleman responded to my request for a double bed by asking about the gender of my traveling partner. This doesn't offend me. It saddens me and frustrates me a little, but life is too short to waste on being offended. I have moved on. In fact I don't really care to discuss this further.

As for Winchester versus Salisbury, I've actually visited both towns in the past, and I think that both are charming. We are going to stay in Salisbury because it is most convenient to our itinerary.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: homophobia at b&bs?

Here is a site, don't know if it's of any use:

http://www.gayhotelsguide.com/

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
16,895 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: homophobia at b&bs?

Lurkerdave

I was the one that said give Salisbury a miss.

I lived in the UK for over 50 years (25 of these being close to both Winchester and Salisbury). My opinion that the people of Salisbury were 'old and stuff' is based on personal experiences. I used to have a dog a ShiTsu that would come everywhere with me. While in Salisbury I wanted to visit the cathedral. As I entered, I was promptly and rudely told to leave as 'Dogs are not Allowed'. Silly really because he was tucked under my arm - but the people who had children running around or those pushing buggys were welcomed. In Winchester, I asked if I could take him and was told 'He is one of Gods creatures the same as the rest of us so he is welcome. I could also sit in a Winchester cafe albeit at the entrace with him on his lead but not in Salisbury.

I agree they are very similar places but the peoples reactions in my case were very different and it is experiences like these that colour your view of a town/city.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,228 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: homophobia at b&bs?

In large towns and cities - like Brighton or Bath - you are unlikely to have problems. Rural Scotland might be another matter....

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
806 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: homophobia at b&bs?

I live in Salisbury, and its not old and stuffy... there are plenty of bars, pubs and clubs, there is a great gay pub in the city and its also very welcoming to the straight guys and girls. ...

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
677 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: homophobia at b&bs?

I can't imagine you would have any problem - we've stayed at about a dozen B&Bs in different cities over the past month, and we were the minority as a heterosexual couple in most of them.

There is a much more open gay presence in the UK than I've ever found in the US outside of San Francisco, and we lived in Portland, one of the most liberal and gay-friendly cities in the US.

When we were in Salisbury, we walked by the Duke of York (gay pub) and it was quite busy.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
806 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: homophobia at b&bs?

The pub is the Duke of York, I used to live just down the road and there is always something going on there...

http://www.duke-salisbury.com/

United Kingdom South
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: homophobia at b&bs?

I wouldn't say Salisbury is stuffy, In fact over the past 10 years its improved I even prefer it to a night out in Southampton these days. Lots of new bars and plenty to do.

...ah The Duke of York, I've spent a few Friday nights in there...awesome fun!

19. Re: homophobia at b&bs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 pm, October 06, 2009