We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting England the week of the Summer Solstice

Which Avebury hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bessemer, Alabama
9 posts
Save Topic
Visiting England the week of the Summer Solstice

I will be visiting England Solstice week by rental car. Would love to see the following, The stone circle at Avebury, Glastonbury Abbey and the Tor. The hill figures of The Long Man. Cerne Abbas. The White Horse. It will be my first trip to the U.K. and I will be travelling alone without reservations. I also would like to be at a (special place for the sunrise on the 21st. Are most of these sites relatively close? and is there anyone with some sage advice for this naive American who is looking forward to seeing his ancestral home? I would appreciate any advice.

25 replies to this topic
Wiltshire, England
Level Contributor
300 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Visiting England the week of the Summer Solstice

Hmm, I think you might have to cut Glastonbury unless you whizz down there on your day of arrival in the UK. The festival is on between 22nd & 26th and it will be heaving down that way for the whole week. Folks will go to the tor for the solstice first then on to the festival.

PM on its way re all the hiking stuff.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,711 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Visiting England the week of the Summer Solstice

A bit further north lies the Rollright complex , just north of the A44 between Moreton-in-Marsh and Chipping Norton. These stones are less likely to be heaving with tourists and you may well be the only visitor - though probably not at the summer solstice. See www.rollrightstones.co.uk for pictures and details of opening hours and coming events.

Edited: 2:36 pm, April 06, 2011
Wiltshire, England
Level Contributor
300 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Visiting England the week of the Summer Solstice

Update on this one: the original poster stayed at my B&B just outside Devizes, got to see everything on his wishlist except for Cerne Abbas and the Long Man (and saw a whole lot more instead). He spent solstice up on Roundway Down with only the birds for company.

Normandy will be for another time!

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,711 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Visiting England the week of the Summer Solstice

Sounds like another satisfied customer, WhiteHorseWalker!

Bessemer, Alabama
9 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Visiting England the week of the Summer Solstice

Yes indeed I was, it was an incredible experience for me. I would like to say that I simply loved all the wonderful English people. I drove without a navi and was lost a few times and I was guided on my way by lovely people. England simply (rocks) as we say in America and I cannot wait to go back and have some more Wadsworth ale!

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,711 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Visiting England the week of the Summer Solstice

Thanks for coming back to tell us all, SouthernAnglo - no doubt you will be driving around England again, now that you know how enjoyable it can be. Cerne Abbas and Long Man next time!

Whitstable, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
27 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Visiting England the week of the Summer Solstice

Stonehenge is iconic. Avebury is laid back and more spiritual. Both are unforgettable. I would take into consideration that it often rains over the solstice. If you can book a b&b at Avebury you will have a better chance of being comfortable even if it rains and remaining inside the circle.

The 'riots' of Stonehenge were back in the 1980s. It was never really a riot. Our prime minister of the time decided to end a festival on the other side of the road to the monument and sent in riot police to break up the festival organisers. It's a long time ago and a safe place to visit. The weather is potentially your biggest threat.

I hope you enjoy your visit. Maybe I will even see you at Avebury :)

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Visiting England the week of the Summer Solstice

Debbie, how on earth did you dredge this up? The OP posted 4 years ago and has been and gone, as you'd see if you bothered to read the preceding threads.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,683 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Visiting England the week of the Summer Solstice

Debbie,

We've all done it. Dont beat yourself up. Just check the dates! ;-)

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
2,642 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Visiting England the week of the Summer Solstice

Yes you could do all these (even the long man at a pinch - but you could see the Uffington Horse or the Westbury Horse instead - my favourite chalk hill figure is the Cerne Abbas Giant).

You could rent a cottage somewhere for a week in South Wiltshire, Somerset or West Dorset. Perhaps Salisbury or Bath if you would like to be in a Town. This would be better than moving around hotels.

I have been to Stonehenge at Solstice and loved the crowds and druids. Avebury would also be good.

I expect that lots will gather at Glastonbury too at Yes Tor.

You can plot your travels via this website but it uses kilometers rather than miles http://www.viamichelin.com/

Reply to: Visiting England the week of the Summer Solstice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted