We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avebury-West Kennet Barrow Day Trip? In January?

Temecula, California
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Topic
Avebury-West Kennet Barrow Day Trip? In January?

I am trying to plan a day trip from my university in Canterbury, Kent, to see the Avebury stones and West Kennet Barrow.

I already transportation figured out to Avebury, which I will be arriving at at around 1pm.

My question is whether or not it's possible to walk from Avebury to West Kennet Barrow and back before it gets dark at around 5pm?

My other question is if it's advisable that I do so, as it's January, muddy, and will probably be raining off and on?

Bear in mind I'm a fast walker/experienced hiker, so that aspect won't be of any concern.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,887 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avebury-West Kennet Barrow Day Trip? In January?

I'd start off with West Kennet Long Barrow, which is about 15 minutes each way across fields - yes it is likely to be muddy, and the wind fair whips across, so can feel surprisingly colder than one expects.

Avebury will also be muddy at the moment, but at least ending up there you have 'civilisation' in the form of a pub and shops, whereas I wouldn't want to be walking over WKLB in the dark.

But surely whether it's advisable is up to you. It's not like going up Mount Snowdon in inclement weather where that's actually dangerous. If you're ok with being cold, wet and muddy, then go for it!

Pretty long daytrip though ...

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,779 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avebury-West Kennet Barrow Day Trip? In January?

My question is whether or not it's possible to walk from Avebury to West Kennet Barrow and back before it gets dark at around 5pm?"

Yes, it is possible - and I agree with Gilliganuk that it would make sense to start with the Barrow.

"My other question is if it's advisable that I do so, as it's January, muddy, and will probably be raining off and on?"

I don't know about "advisable" but as you are an experienced hiker, wearing warm, windproof, waterproof clothing and sturdy hiking boots I see no reason not to - you may have the entire site to yourself in such weather. If it is very cold, with hoarfrost on the grass and puddles iced over, the going is easier.

You do not mention Silbury hill - further west, on the A4 - which could be visited after the barrow and before following the Avenue to the Circles.

If you propose travelling via Swindon, note that the no.49 bus drops off and picks up outside the Red Lion pub in Avebury.

For more information, see www.nationaltrust.org.uk/avebury and the Google satellite views (with labelling errors) will help you, too.

"

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,446 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avebury-West Kennet Barrow Day Trip? In January?

If you take the footpath that starts across from the bottom of the car park (look for the gate across the road), you'll get fine views of Silbury Hill on your way to West Kennet Long Barrow. There is also a faint footpath heading over the hill (on your left as you approach the road and WKLB, or on your right coming back) which will take you up and over the hill and down to the end of the Avenue if you retrace your steps from WKLB; this avoids trudging along the road. The path follows a wall IIRC and heads up to a tree. This tree, incidentally, was decorated with bizarre little mementos when I walked past a few years ago--ribbons and suchlike.

Wiltshire, England
Level Contributor
307 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avebury-West Kennet Barrow Day Trip? In January?

Easily done in that time. It will be muddy - I went for an Avebury walk a couple of weeks ago and some of the fields were underwater, but WKLB is uphill so should be fine!

Here's a map and walking directions you might find useful if you want to make the walk a bit longer.

http://www.walkweb.org.uk/W05.pdf

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Avebury-West Kennet Barrow Day Trip? In January?

One thing you'll notice as you walk up to the longbarrow and back down again is your shoes getting heavier and heavier as you pick up cakes of mud on the soles of your shoes. The gravel path has long since disappeared under the wet earth. Also there are a fair few puddles of varying size within the barrow itself.

6. Re: Avebury-West Kennet Barrow Day Trip? In January?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:47 am, December 20, 2015
Wiltshire, England
Level Contributor
307 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avebury-West Kennet Barrow Day Trip? In January?

That's right, please don't walk up Silbury Hill. The best views of it are from Waden Hill which is between the bridge and point 2 on the map I mentioned above.

Wiltshire, England
Level Contributor
307 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Avebury-West Kennet Barrow Day Trip? In January?

Well, it;s February now so I assume you've had your visit? How did it go?

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Avebury-West Kennet Barrow Day Trip? In January?

If it's still of any interest, this is the view you get of Silbury Hill from the path up to the barrow

flickr.com/photos/…set-72157624376642126

10. Re: Avebury-West Kennet Barrow Day Trip? In January?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 07, 2014