We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Devizes now I;m worried camping. HELP!!!!!

Portrush, United...
Level Contributor
340 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Devizes now I;m worried camping. HELP!!!!!

Hi,

I have booked 6 night sin a campsite nr devizes called the bell caravan park, Andover road Lydeway, reviews were good on uk campsites, at the time of booking the most recent review was last season. now the site have stopped their website and there is a review on UKcamp for this year, saying a lot of contractors are using site as a base and toilets etc arent great . Im hoping maybe some locals will know the site or if anyone has stayed, Ive only paid a deposit so far so could cancel, I know locals are obviously not going to be camping but hope some of you may have some info! any info,

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
16,336 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Devizes now I;m worried camping. HELP!!!!!

GB will be along soon - unless he is away in Greece ! ;-)

Portrush, United...
Level Contributor
340 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Devizes now I;m worried camping. HELP!!!!!

yep where is he when i neeeeed him!!lol

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Devizes now I;m worried camping. HELP!!!!!

Hi Shazza

Sorry, only just seen this thread. I rang the campsite and all that's happened is that there were issues with their domain name on the website and they've now changed it to...

www.thebellcampsite.org.uk

The lady I spoke to says it's business as usual and didn't know anything about contractors being there. I know the road was resurfaced a while ago, possibly the contractors were "camping" out at the Bell?

Edited: 5:48 am, June 20, 2012
Portrush, United...
Level Contributor
340 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Devizes now I;m worried camping. HELP!!!!!

thank you soo much GB I really appreciate that, youve set my mind at rest, I know on the reviews here some people can be a "bit" over zealous with the complaints, I am meeting my niece and family from Kent at the site and they are not camper as such, so just want everything to be right! now the countdown is on 10 days until corwalll!! yes

thanks again you really are an awesome contributor!! :-)

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Devizes now I;m worried camping. HELP!!!!!

You're most welcome Shazza, have a great trip.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Devizes now I;m worried camping. HELP!!!!!

Hi Shazza, have you stayed at the Bell yet?

Portrush, United...
Level Contributor
340 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Devizes now I;m worried camping. HELP!!!!!

not exactly, we arrived at a pretty deserted campsite, with a couple of old tatty carvans, a couple of modern campervans with work vehicles parked beside them, def contractors, the pool was covered in leaves the surrounding full of weeds through the tiles,and as for the toilet/showers i wont even go there.. but worst a small hut for reception, locked up but inside there was a coat stand dressed in jacket and trousers complete with hat and a photograph of the owner placed where a head should be!!! bizarre! we decided not to ring the bell and beat a hasty retreat to witherspoons in the town for wifi, we found a nice site at Blacklands, it was worth giving up our deposit as we packed up our banjos and beat a hasty retreat from the Bell( we had a Deliverence moment) lol

great area you live in some lovely counrty side and eateries.

Portrush, United...
Level Contributor
340 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Devizes now I;m worried camping. HELP!!!!!

that sounds sarcastic reading back, but it really is a lovely area, loved marlborough and devizes, calne and swindon not so good, but the counrtyside and the rolling hills are truly lovely, and different from any other countryside in Northern Ireland, hope to get back to wiltshire someday.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Devizes now I;m worried camping. HELP!!!!!

So sorry Shazza to hear that the Bell was horrible, it certainly must have gone downhill recently as some friends stayed there in late 2010 and said it was lovely. Glad you liked Devizes though, it's a great town with a lot going for it.

As for the contractors, I have no idea where they might be working, there's nothing going on around the area that I know of unless they are builders working on a new build or refurb in one of the villages. Glad you got things sorted out though.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Devizes now I;m worried camping. HELP!!!!!

Hello- Just stayed at the Bell campsite, and although basic, its extremely friendly and clean - at the weekends it gets full of happy families and campers, and less full in the week, which we tend to like!

The shower block is quite basic, but one of the cleanest I have been in - and the owner is very friendly.

They have so many regulars and they all seem to know the owner, which is nice as he doesn't bombard you when you get there, but is always round to say hello.

A lovely, simple, friendly site i'd say - even more lovely when the sun is shining!