We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Leeds itinery please!

uk
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Topic
Help with Leeds itinery please!

Hello,

Im off to leeds this tuesday and wonder if you could help with my itinery

TUES:Planning to look round the main shopping area inc kirkgate market, have lunch in whitelocks and relax at hotel gym and eat dinner there as its included 1st night

WED:Not sure whether to go 2 castleford. Was planning on visiting xscape but its £21 an hour skiing and itl prob be overcrowded to enjoy a nice ski. The outlet village seems quite small. Dont know whether yorks mcarthur glen outlet is better? I have been to york before but only visited the main shopping district. If good weather, would do another ghost tour. If back in leeds for dinner, might go to bibis or medina. Was told theres a good italian close 2 the ibis hotel?

Am going to try and fit in howarth for a quick visit and a half hour hack with adelwood equestrian centre. How far is howarth by car from leeds and york?

Anywhere nice for a walk in the evening? Usually enjoy a walk along the beach here in merseyside but obviously not in a coastal area in leeds. Any recommendations?

Are the parks such as roundhay worth taking a look at?

Thank you xxx

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Leeds itinery please!

Don't know about the other stuff but won't they still be sweeping up Roundhay Park from the Festival this weekend?

Leeds
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Leeds itinery please!

Personally I don't think Freeport (Castleford) or MacArthur Glen (York) are worth the effort of going. Howarth is about 25 miles from Leeds, personally I'd say that was a better day out than Castleford.

Temple Newsam is nice or Kirkstall Abbey.

Wiltshire, U.K.
Level Contributor
3,768 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Leeds itinery please!

The outlet shopping part of Xscape is quite small. Worth taking a look if you're already heading for Xscape but I wouldn't go there just for the shops.

Haworth is lovely.

Or take a look at Ilkley or Knaresborough.

England
Level Contributor
2,317 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Leeds itinery please!

Ilkley Moor is a nice place to visit from Leeds.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,620 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with Leeds itinery please!

Harewood House would be perfect for a walk in the evening (the parkland is extensive, free and gorgeous!). Follow the Harrogate road out of Leeds (A61), and after about 10 minutes you will see some gates into the park on your left (not the main gates further on). Park opposite and then walk into the park - fantastic views of Harewood House and a lovely place for a visit.

This link might help you -

walkingenglishman.com/leedsharrogate12.htm

Haworth isn't that far from Leeds but the journey can take an age. Not the place for a quick visit.

Bibi's is great for Italian food. Avoid Dino's.

We recently had a wonderful meal at Red Chilli (Chinese) at the back of the Town Hall.

Wiltshire, U.K.
Level Contributor
3,768 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with Leeds itinery please!

Morgana...

I always thought you had to pay into Harewood, (quite expensive too!), even if you only want to walk in the grounds.

Is it free after a certain time or something?

BTW, I know you can walk in the grounds of Temple Newsam for free.

Wiltshire, U.K.
Level Contributor
3,768 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with Leeds itinery please!

Sorry...

Just re-read your post about not using the main gates.

Didn't realise you could 'sneak in the back door'.

Great thinking!

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,620 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with Leeds itinery please!

It's not sneaking in the back door, honest! The parkland is free to wander in at any time during daylight hours. I pass the side gates to the park each day as I drive to work, and on a summer evening we quite often stop on the way home and have a stroll, especially after a stressful day. It's such a beautiful, peaceful place.

The 'formal' gardens, bird gardens etc have 'proper' opening times, but the parkland is free to wander in whenever.

Another point of interest - the Emmerdale set is situated on the edge of Harewood - you can't see much more than just a load of buildings as you stroll past, but I always keep my eyes open for any of the cast (and I have seen several of them shopping in Waitrose in Harrogate in the past!).

Wiltshire, U.K.
Level Contributor
3,768 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with Leeds itinery please!

Hey Morgana,

I don't watch Emmerdale myself but my sister works for YTV in the video library.

She gets paid to watch it and does a couple of days in the Emmerdale department.

She gets to go to the Emmerdale Christmas party, (Champagne with the stars!) and I think she once went to a garden party at Harewood for the Emmerdale cast.

She's always name dropping... but it means nothing to me because I wouldn't know a Dingle from Seth Armstrong!

Leeds
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with Leeds itinery please!

Oh and Leeds festival was Bramham park not Roundhay so you could still visit Roundhay if you fancied.