We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passports

Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Passports

We are uk citizens staying for a concert do we need passports to check in

London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Passports

<<<< we was asked for passports before and didnt want to go all way to Leeds >>>>

Before ? Do you mean you were asked on a previous trip to Leeds ? Or when you booked the hotel ? Or what ?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,049 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Passports

Not meaning to be cheeky (honest) but have you never stayed in a hotel in the UK before??

UK hotels wouldn't ever ask for a passport from a UK resident in my experience. I think the reason they do it with overseas (and when you go abroad) is that it's about as an official document as you can get and they can match it up to you and more especially your credit card.

If you live in the UK then most likely they can easily trace you and your CC will be registered at your home address.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,981 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Passports

Think about what the millions of UK citizens that don't have passports would do.....

Does the hotel want your business? If yes, then they will let you checkin without a passport.

UK
Level Contributor
6,914 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Passports

"UK hotels wouldn't ever ask for a passport from a UK resident in my experience."

I'm afraid that's not been my experience. I had a hotel refuse to honour a prepaid booking once because I was unable to produce my passport. I am a permanent resident in the UK but a national of another EU country. They claimed that they would be breaking the law by letting me check in without my passport.

(I have read the law that they were referring to. It's ancient - but has apparently never been revoked - and talks about "aliens" being required to produce passports when checking into hotels. The hotel chain eventually paid me a three-figure sum in compensation, but they still haven't updated their registration form, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if clueless/over-zealous receptionists were continuing to turn away anyone who looks or sounds like they weren't born in the UK but can't produce a passport!)

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,371 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Passports

The way I understand it is if you are UK resident then a passport is not needed. I have never been asked to provide one. All I have been asked for is to see my credit card at check in.

If this is worrying you then just check with the hotel.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Passports

I have been thinking about this, no UK citizen needs a passport to travel witihn the UK, but how do you prove you are a UK citizen without having a passport?

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Passports

Having a UK credit card would go a long way to proving that and I wonder if its absence is what they use to trigger the request for one?

UK
Level Contributor
6,914 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Passports

Not sure if the last two posts refer to my earlier one... if they do: My reservation was prepaid using a UK credit card registered to an address in the UK. They still insisted on a passport. They sort of admitted that they were wrong, and as I said they eventually paid me compensation after (some protracted correspondence). I decided to share my story because it's probably something that could happen to anyone who looks or sounds foreign.

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Passports

<how do you prove you are a UK citizen without having a passport?>

With some other official document that states your nationality. Does a UK driving licence not indicate the holder's nationality ? If you have no trustworthy document stating your nationality, then of course you can't prove it.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Passports

I know quite a few (mostly elderly ) people with no passport and no driving licence, they seem to be able to move around the country ok. I cannot see how a hotel can insist on a passport when it is not a legal requirement to have one at all.