We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canal walking

Manchester
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Canal walking

My friend and I are walking the Leeds Liverpool Canal and have made it halfway - to Church from Liverpool end. As we live in Wigan we now need to find hotels or B & Bs close to the canal to do the onward route. Does anyone have any suggestions between Burnley and Leeds please.

Bingley, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canal walking

Hi,

Based in Bingley but this doesnt seem a million miles off the halfway point so may be an appropriate place to stop.

If you want to stay really near to the canal then would recommend Five Rise Locks Hotel

http://www.five-rise-locks.co.uk/

Obviously appropriate due to the 5 rise locks being just there, also nice places to eat in Bingley.

If you would like to go budget then there is the Ibis in Shipley

ibishotel.com/gb/…index.shtml

Right next to the canal and there is a generic pub right next to it (The Noble Comb).

Both are either side of Saltaire (World Heritage Site) and great place to visit, if you are doing your trip between 6th & 16th September then you can call in on the Saltaire festival (at weekends it has continental markets, bands etc.)

http://www.saltairefestival.co.uk/

If your planning on staying in Leeds then there are a number of branded hotels at the end of the canal (Hilton, Bewleys, Premier Inn etc.) all within easy (for you) walking distance.

Hope that helps and good luck with the walk.

Burnley
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Canal walking

There's a Holiday Inn very close to the canal side in Burnley - www.hiexburnley.com. It's quite a new hotel and has very good reviews on Trip Advisor.

Bradford
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canal walking

My friends always stay at the Abbey Lodge Guest House in Shipley and it gets great reviews here too

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g672783-d1775…

Do ake sure you visit Saltaire and if its a weekend when you pass through have a ride on the Shipley Glen Tramway too!

Fanny's Ale House in Saltaire is good for real ale as are the Victoria and Shipley Pride

Leeds
Level Contributor
115 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canal walking

ah. my bf and i did Leeds to Liverpool a couple of years ago. get ready for a good few miles of fab scenery after church. we stayed overnight in a couple of places, namely parbold and skipton. we loved both but to answer your question id thoroughly recommend skipton. its a lovely market town on the edge of the yorkshire dales with lots of great places to eat and drink. i can recommend aagrah for a curry if you're partial!! get yourself booked into a b&b and have a fab time.

5. Re: Canal walking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, December 16, 2013