We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train ride Leeds to London

New England
Level Contributor
226 posts
3 reviews
Train ride Leeds to London

Some time ago I posted a question about Leeds vs. London for study abroad. My son has been accepted at the University of Leeds, yea!! He is so excited, but in planning his travel it is much less expensive to fly in and out of London. (not to mention the program orientation is in London as well) How long does it take by train to travel from Leeds to London for planning his return trip. Thank you for this and any other insight you may offer.

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
9,829 posts
47 reviews
1. Re: Train ride Leeds to London

There's a regular train service between kings cross London and leeds. It takes between 2 hours and 2 and half hours depending on how many stops the train makes. They run a few times an hour during the day from london to Leeds.

The main problem is getting across London if he flies into gatwick and heathrow. Usually takes like 40-50 minutes.

Have you considered flying from heathrow to leeds/bradford airport? There's only 4/6 flights a day but it's a short flight (45 minutes). BMI are the airline that fly that internal route.

Pickering England
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
135 reviews
2. Re: Train ride Leeds to London

Having posted in response to your earlier post it is good to see the outcome. Leeds is a good city and has a wealth of areas of interest and beauty around it-so a good choice.

It is also a very lively student city so he will not be short on opportunity to enjoy an english student experience.

Sure he will enjoy it.

You already have the answer on trains-a couple of hours and very frequent through the day

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
83 reviews
3. Re: Train ride Leeds to London

The operator for London to Leeds is national express East Coast. The University is the opposite side of the town centre from the station but can be walked if not carrying lots of luggage.

Book in advance on the NXEC website for the cheapest fares.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
208 reviews
4. Re: Train ride Leeds to London

Even f booking in advance to get the lowest fares is not practical, avoid travelling at peak hours which is much mre expensive than during the middle part of the day. There is a lot of advice on getting from Heathrow and Gatwick to Kings Cross Station.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
208 reviews
5. Re: Train ride Leeds to London

Sorry, clicked to soon. That should have finished by saying - on the London Forum

New England
Level Contributor
226 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Train ride Leeds to London

Sorry it has taken me a while to get back to my post, a full moon always makes for long days at work. (maternity nurse, not werewolf) Thank you all for the great information, it will definitely help us with our initial planning as well as making all his travel plans while he is there. Especially good to know how long it takes to get to the airport from the train station. I'm sure we'll have more questions as the time for his departure nears, you may be hearing from me again soon. Thanks for all your help. LTW

7. Re: Train ride Leeds to London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:20 pm, October 14, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Leeds
Recent Conversations