We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itenerary help

Crestwood, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5 posts
38 reviews
20 helpful votes
Itenerary help

We are traveling to the UK October 7-20. Our itenerary is as follows: 3 days in London then driving to Salisbury to see Stonehenge and staying that night in tintagel. Then driving through cotswolds to north Wales to stay in conwy that night. The next morning driving up to Stirling and staying the night. The next morning driving to loch lamond and then to Edinburgh for 2 nights. From there, we are unsure. I would like to see hadrians wall on the drive back down through london and we will eventually end up in dover 2 days later. I had initially planned to stay in york, but we are more interested in history and culture. Is there a better place to stay in east England that would afford us more historical sites? Leeds? Manchester? Oxford? Thank you so much for your help. ♡

7 replies to this topic
Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
9,549 posts
74 reviews
32 helpful votes
1. Re: Itenerary help

Any reason why this is in the Leeds forum.

Day one after London is too much. I'm presuming (hoping) 'driving through the cotswolds up to North Wales' isn't then the next day and that is staggered over at least a couple of days. How many nights are you spending in Cornwall? Driving from north Wales to Stirling the day after arriving is nuts. You don't need a car in Edinburgh and don't know why you'd then drive back to London.

Overall, I would advise a map, an appreciation of distance and UK driving conditions and a rethink.

Edited: 11:06 am, September 01, 2018
Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire, London
Level Contributor
12,576 posts
509 reviews
196 helpful votes
2. Re: Itenerary help

I have to say that this is a very, very ambitious plan. London to Tintagel will take well in excess of four hours plus stops, +2 hours at least at Stonehenge. So you get to Tintagel in the late afternoon, to set off to drive to Conway the next morning which will take six hours and in part you will be backtracking on the road you’ve just come down, and then the very next day you’re driving to Stirling which will be another five hours. That’s an awful lot of driving and not very much sightseeing? Clearly it’s your vacation but I fear you will get to the end of it exhausted and frustrated. Just my thoughts.

Warwickshire...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds, Rome, London
Level Contributor
4,776 posts
112 reviews
105 helpful votes
3. Re: Itenerary help

How many days are you doing this over? If these are meant to be journeys one day after the other then you need to go back to the drawing board and do some solid reading about the UK (don't use Rick Steves as your guide). It very much looks like you have chosen a random selection of sights without havong considered whether there is any realsitic propspect of fitting them in.

Only an idiot would drive to Cornwall for one overnight. The Cotswolds covers a large area and needs two days, Going to Conwy without spending some time in Wales is madness. I don't even know where to start on the Conwy to Sterling day and the best way of getting back to London from Edinburgh is by train. Sorry to be so harsh but you need to do some more research and work our a realistic itinerary. Driving in the UK is not like driving in the US - we are a small crowded island, rural roads are narrow & winding often with high hedges which limit visibility, cities and towns are congested.

Rutland, United...
Level Contributor
7,958 posts
79 reviews
134 helpful votes
4. Re: Itenerary help

It would help if the itinerary was presented in a more structured form.

Oct 7 Arrive. What time?

Oct 8 London

Oct 9 London

Oct 10 Pick up hire car, Drive to Salisbury, Stonehenge and Tintagel. That’s very unrealistic

Oct 11 Drive through Cotswolds and on to Conwy. Put this into a route planner to see why it is ill advised

Oct 12 Conwy to Sterling. What time do you envisage arriving?

Oct 13 Sterling to Edinburgh

Oct 14 Edinburgh

Oct 15 Edinburgh to Hadrian’s Wall. Then to York a place stuffed with history and culture.

Oct 16 Drive to London. Good luck with finding parking and paying the congestion charge

Oct 17 London

Oct 18 London

Oct 19 Dover

Oct 20 Fly home.

If it was me, I would cut out Tintagel, Conwy and Dover and use the train for almost all aspects of the trip except touring the Cotswolds.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
44 reviews
29 helpful votes
5. Re: Itenerary help

York is a must! Your itinerary is crazy. All you would see is motorways

Rutland, United...
Level Contributor
7,958 posts
79 reviews
134 helpful votes
6. Re: Itenerary help

Sterling ... hangs head in shame!

London, United...
Level Contributor
839 posts
79 reviews
38 helpful votes
7. Re: Itenerary help

Agreed that if we have read your itinerary correctly it is far too ambtious and rushed. Some of the distances you are anticipating driving in one day are long and in the UK even shorter journeys can often take much longer due to traffic. All it takes is one accident and sometimes an entire section of motorway can be closed. Also not sure why you don't think York will offer history and culture?

Reply to: Itenerary help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Leeds
Recent Conversations