We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visitor centre nightmare, but Haworth OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!!

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
418 posts
63 reviews
Visitor centre nightmare, but Haworth OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!!

What a fabulous time my mother, sister and I had in Haworth this summer. My only wish is that we would have stayed for a long weekend so we could have done it all. The organisation of the "Railway Children" part is none existent, which we found very frustrating to start with, but once we got under way on our own steam it was well worth the visit.

Pros:

The beauty of the landscape the film was set in could not be imagined, it is one of the most beautiful parts of our wonderful country.

There are some amazing views to take in when walking the set walks to visit the sites of the film The Railway Children.

The pride in the village from the people who live there is something I have not witnessed in a long time in a English village. The Tour de France had been there only a few weeks ago and so I think this May have attributed to this feeling.

Amazing to visit the living film set ofThe Railway Children

The website for the railway is very organised www.kwvr.co.uk and has ticket prices etc which makes organising a trip on the steam trains a little easier. To be honest you could spend a whole day just riding up and down on the steam trains as it was so much fun.

Lots of places to enjoy a picnic with a view

The man who lives at The Three Chimneys (Bents House) is very knowledgeable about the filming etc of The Railway Children.

It was amazing to visit the real live set of a childhood favourite film.

Cons:

wish the visitor website had more information that I could assess before my trip. Events such as the "Railway Children Weekend" in May, the Haworth Village 1940s weekend and the Vintage Trains and Cream Teas in Aug etc etc. I would have liked to have organised myself around one or two of these events and it would bring a lot more tourists to the area.

The settings for the film are far apart, I didn't mind this much as have worked on movie sets before, but some in my family were quite shocked to realise this and took coaxing to walk a little way. In the end we ran out of time and had to visit the station used in the film by car.

The train timetable was not understood by those who work in the Visitor Centre, I would have thought for a visitor attraction based mainly around the rail network this would be something they would have a firm understanding of?

It took us a long time to find the Visitor Centre, it took many phone calls and we also bumped into others that were lost and trying to find the visitor centre so this made me feel that maybe it wasn't just us lol. I think this is mainly due to having seemingly two parts to the village of Haworth. There seems to be an old part (where the visitor centre is located at the TOP of a STEEP hill) on a cobbled street away from the main road which was probably why it is difficult to navigate as well as not being very well signposted. You have to go through the park from the station, then cross over the road and on to the cobbled street. Right at the top and I MEAN, right at the top is the Visitor Centre. it is not sign posted at the exit of the park which would be useful.

Finding Parking was absolute nightmare. Thankfully it wasn't a weekend, we found a place to park at Haworth Station, £3 for the day. Although we soon found that parking at Oakmworth was free :-)

The Three Chimneys House is not an attraction. Although it seems that way on the brochures and website, it is privately owned and although the gentleman is very helpful and kind, I am sure he doesn't want people trampling all over his land to get the view of the front of the house.

The map on the leaflet that I brought from the Visitor Centre was wrong, it showed Mytholmes Railway Tunnel to be near the station, it is not. Don't ask the local people or those who work at the visitor centre because they are just as clueless as you.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
5,452 posts
48 reviews
1. Re: Visitor centre nightmare, but Haworth OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!!

Glad you had overall a great time, but such a shame that some parts lacked information. Hopefully your report will be helpful for others doing a similar trip though. It is a beautiful part of Yorkshire.

Essex
Level Contributor
31,733 posts
69 reviews
2. Re: Visitor centre nightmare, but Haworth OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!!

Hmmn, yes, whilst parts of The Railway Children were filmed there, it is the Bronte family, not the Waterbury family that tend to spring to mind, when thinking about Haworth....

Level Contributor
3 posts
42 reviews
3. Re: Visitor centre nightmare, but Haworth OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!!

The tunnel is about a mile from either Haworth station or Oakworth station.

Also mytholmes tunnel was used as a set in film The wall by pink Floyd.

From Haworth station. With station behind you walk left up mill hey past shops and turn left at the masonic Hall on to Ebor lane.

Cross the bridge and you will see a foot path on right. Tunnel is just off this footpath.

I

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
32,216 posts
62 reviews
4. Re: Visitor centre nightmare, but Haworth OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!!

Dear me! Serious necropost from 2014!

5. Re: Visitor centre nightmare, but Haworth OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:14 pm, July 24, 2017
Get answers to your questions about Haworth