We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changegate car park - avoid at all costs

Fareham, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
23 reviews
Save Topic
Changegate car park - avoid at all costs

Not having had the benefit of reading these posts we had parked on the line of a bay - there was no bay on the other side of the line and got stung for £90 - cash only. Whilst we were there another 4 people were clamped. One person at 15.31 on a ticket that expired at 15.29.

The cashpoint machine is in a pub in the village- when I entered I was advised that it had run out of money and the lday behind the bar said, without prompting 'Have you been clamped?'

We will not now return to Haworth. I know that the car park is private but if the local community really wanted to stop this then they could take some sort of action.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,397 posts
Save Reply
71. Re: Changegate car park - avoid at all costs

We have already said several times DO NOT PAY.

lancs
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
72. Re: Changegate car park - avoid at all costs

I heard nothing did nothing :O)

Bradford, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
73. Re: Changegate car park - avoid at all costs

I would be interested to know also. My self my husband and little boy went to Haworth today. Parked here. Put two hours on the car. We got there at 12:44. Didn't check our ticket. It only printed out an hour return time 13:44. Didn't check ticket but sure wish I had as both my self and hubby know we put two hours on. Just wanted to check tarrifs to ensure. Fined 60 pounds.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
21,768 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
74. Re: Changegate car park - avoid at all costs

"Didn't check our ticket."

That's the key sentence I'm afraid. Not sure there is much you can do to follow this up.

Edited: 5:12 pm, November 03, 2013
Bradford, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
75. Re: Changegate car park - avoid at all costs

Surely that's not the point you put your money in the machine for two hours expecting the ticket to print out an expiry of two hours. It's a total scam. Trying to find loop holes in everything is not helping.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
21,768 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
76. Re: Changegate car park - avoid at all costs

Not trying to find a loophole. Just when I purchase something I always try and ensure I get what I paid for.

Can you be certain the machine accepted all the coins you put in for payment?

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
244 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
77. Re: Changegate car park - avoid at all costs

Well, either way, you don't have to pay it.

Don't communicate any way with the owners of this site, not even a phone call and ignore all correspondence.

Take a look at this site http://www.popla.org.uk/about.htm where you will see this sort of 'parking charge' is not enforceable.

I have one on the go at the moment, I have had all the letters, the threats to go to a debt collection company to recover the money, and the latest a reduction in the 'fine' from £120 to £60 if I paid up. Ignore it, and they will go away.

Had another, the parking charge was for 1 hour (£1) or all day (£5). I was seven minutes late back to the car and they were there issuing a ticket. I took it told them I wouldn't pay and haven't heard another word.

A load of chancers relying on the ignorance of motorists to get money.

78. Re: Changegate car park - avoid at all costs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:47 pm, January 21, 2014
Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
79. Re: Changegate car park - avoid at all costs

Are you aware of the laws for private parking tickets in the UK? By law private firms ARE NOT allowed to fine the driver, only charge for lost revenue, so about £10, or whatever the maximum stay is. Not £75 or £100 or whatever he was charging. If you've got the guts to ignore a few nasty threatening letters I suggest you do as it is very unlikely to go to court, and even if it does you will win based on what you've written here. Something like 2-4% of these cases go to court, and only 50 resulted in prosecution last year because they were guilty (which you're not).

Fight this man! He is a crook and is relying on people's lack of knowledge on private parking. Do some research and see for yourself.

Ambleside, United...
1 post
Save Reply
80. Re: Changegate car park - avoid at all costs

Wish I'd seen it.just got done at Changegate carpark,I didn't have the money but unfortunately my friend did and paid by credit card.I didn't know about this forum,Range my nephew later and he said the same as everybody else,Don't pay and ignore all corespondance,