We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changegate car park - avoid at all costs

Which Haworth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fareham, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
23 reviews
Save Topic
Changegate car park - avoid at all costs

Not having had the benefit of reading these posts we had parked on the line of a bay - there was no bay on the other side of the line and got stung for £90 - cash only. Whilst we were there another 4 people were clamped. One person at 15.31 on a ticket that expired at 15.29.

The cashpoint machine is in a pub in the village- when I entered I was advised that it had run out of money and the lday behind the bar said, without prompting 'Have you been clamped?'

We will not now return to Haworth. I know that the car park is private but if the local community really wanted to stop this then they could take some sort of action.

north of england
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Changegate car park - avoid at all costs

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate "highway robbery" John. Virtually the same thing happened to us in June. I fully agree with your sentiments about the local community.

Yet another potential traveller(s) to Haworth is lost.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,172 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changegate car park - avoid at all costs

Most of the threads in the Haworth forum are about this particular car park.

It is one small 'patch' of real estate in Yorkshire.

I do think it is a shame that people say they will NEVER EVER go to Haworth again, just because of one place.

There are plenty of other really nice places and really nice people in Haworth, IME. So I do think that perhaps you are overreacting somewhat.

If we never went anywhere again just because ONE bad thing happened, no-one in the world would ever go outside of their own front door ever again?!

Bradford
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Changegate car park - avoid at all costs

'If we never went anywhere again just because ONE bad thing happened, no-one in the world would ever go outside of their own front door ever again?!'

Well said!! This is a private business operating within the law (whatever one may think of that law!) There is nothing the community, local authority or Police can do so if you want to go to Haworth don't let this stop you.

Personally I prefer Hebden Bridge and Saltaire :-)

ilkley
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Changegate car park - avoid at all costs

another will never go to haworth and spread the work to everyone i know, i was in said carpark on tuesday when an older gentleman was sat in his car waiting wife, they came and clamped him, after fighting with him and putting 2 clamps on his car, he was 7 mins over, i recon when they started he was maybe 2 mins and he was prepared to pay another hour. its disgusting haworth allow this to go on, they dont deserve visitors.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,549 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Changegate car park - avoid at all costs

"after fighting with him "

Really? Why didn't anyone call the police?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,876 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Changegate car park - avoid at all costs

Whilst I agree he's a miserable - em - person, the problem is that he isn't doing anything illegal. He has the right under the law to clamp vehicles on his own land if they break his rules.

If he was making rules and breaking them in order to make money then there would be something that could be done.

Allegedly the government is going to change English law to ban the use of clamping at which point most of his power will disappear as whilst he could still "fine" you he would have no way of enforcing it without going to court.

Haworth, United...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Changegate car park - avoid at all costs

I am a resident of Haworth/Stanbury. Sadly, the local community are unable to do anything to stop these rogue car park clampers and they are notorious in the area and the shops are sick and tired of them and do warn visitors. I think they have even been featured on a television programme as they were clamping mad!!!!

Locals avoid using this car park for obvious reasons and this is not the only car park they govern, they have one in Keighley which operates on pretty much the same rules. Their rules or they clamp you.

However, there are other car parks which do not operate like these. I think in total there are four car parks in Haworth. I will speak with residents and Councillors and see if anything can be done to help.

The people of Stanbury are lovely.

8. Re: Changegate car park - avoid at all costs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 pm, November 02, 2011
9. Re: Changegate car park - avoid at all costs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 pm, November 02, 2011
Bingley, England...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Changegate car park - avoid at all costs

I would like to request you to kindly guide and help and also want to bring in your kind notice the mal practices by CARSTOPPERS car park at Haworth.

I took my mother in law who is visiting from India to show her the famous Bronte Estate but what she experienced with my family has been the worst she has seen till date.

I purchased the parking ticket for one hour and clearly displayed on the windscreen, the ticket was bought at 14:41 and was valid till 15:41 we returned at 15:20 in ample time and saw the parking attendant going towards our car with clamps in his hands, so I rushed to the scene opened the car and showed him the ticket, but he refused and said he could not see it and clamped the car, despite of my convincing and requesting. My wife and young kids who started crying had no effect on the person.

The clamper was adamant and kept on saying that he is going to call a tow truck and then it would cost me £240, I called car stoppers and they told me straight away that I have to pay to get the clamp removed. The clamper also said that police cannot do anything as he experience this everyday and police come to the site on daily basis but have no power to put an end to what they do.

I called police but they said that it’s a private car park and they cannot and will not do anything, overall it was the worst experience my family had, and I am shocked to know that why these people are allowed to intimidate and threaten people even after so many complaints. I spoke to local businesses and they all said that they are notorious for their practices. So I had no option but to surrender to the extortion by the clamping team as I was more scared about my family in their presence. I paid £90 and now I am looking for ways to bring this to an end before this practice by car stoppers becomes unstoppable and above the law.