We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Curry suggestions

Which Bradford hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nottingham
Level Contributor
87 posts
198 reviews
Save Topic
Curry suggestions

Hi

We're coming to Bradford at the end of this month, staying at the Bradford Central Premier Inn on Vicar Lane. We'd like to go for a curry on the Saturday night but are having trouble finding an Indian restaurant with decent reviews that's near the Premier Inn. Does anyone have any suggestions? We usually prefer down to earth places over haute cuisine and would like to go somewhere within walking distance of the hotel if possible, but I'm prepared to drive if absolutely necessary. Thanks!

21 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
242 posts
293 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Curry suggestions

I know this post has almost died, but just in case anyone else is looking...

The challenge in the Bradford area is that there are over 200 'curry restaurants' (mostly Pakistani/Punjabi BTW) offering a range of styles. How can I recommend one of those without knowing what an individual diner regards as a 'good curry'? Once we get outside the usual suspects for top-end stuff (Aagrah, Mumtaz, Nawaab) the mid- and bottom-end are up to you.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
87 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Curry suggestions

The sheer number of restaurants and reviews on here is why I decided to seek further opinions on where to go and was pleased that JoeG replied with some suggestions. The food at Sheesh Mahal certainly wasn't 'bad', just different. I also won't be submitting a review as I don't think it would be fair to penalise them based on my taste in curries. And as I said, before, the service and price were excellent.

Hull, UK
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Curry suggestions

We found Omar Khan a very good curry house, after our show at The Alhambra earlier this month. Very close to the theatre, if you ever come this way again!

Bradford
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Curry suggestions

Omar Khan tended to be variable in the past - been very good and very average but I haven't been for a while so must try again! Nice atmosphere - posher than my usual haunts!

Blackpool
Destination Expert
for Blackpool
Level Contributor
1,239 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Curry suggestions

International used to be the best for me. Any updates???

Bradford
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Curry suggestions

International still good - Sheesh Mahal tends to have better starters but most of my friends prefer the International's curries. International a little pricier than Sheesh Mahal but still incredibly good value!

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
804 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Curry suggestions

we are coming to Bradford at the end of June for one purpose only to sample great curry. Stopping at the Premier Inn,central Bradford.We do not want to walk to far(although would pay for a smallish taxi ride) and would like a nice pub near bye to have a beer or two-any suggestions?

Bradford
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Curry suggestions

Check out my suggestions above if you want an authentic Bradford experience rather than the type of restaurant you can find anywhere - many people recommend the Kashmir and Karachi too but I wasn't impressed on last visit to either of those

Re pubs the classic (occasionally with interesting characters) Beehive is next to the Sheesh Mahal and the Sparrow Bier Cafe is very close too. If you went for the International there is a decent Wetherspoons just a little way below opposite the Alhambra Theatre or the Jacobs Well has just won the CAMRA pub of the season and is also nearby through the subways and on your way back (or on the way there'!) from the hotel - both curry houses are within 15 mins walk uphill . City Vaults in City Centre is also a good pub with very decent beer and cheap good food if you fancy a change from curry. Corn Dolly a little in the worng direction on Bolton Rd is a great beer pub too and not far at all from hotel!

Enjoy!!

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
804 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Curry suggestions

thanks Joe

on another point is it fairly safe to wander around the city centre on a Saturday night ?

Bradford
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Curry suggestions

Yeah generally - there are some odd characters about as in any city but I have been living here for over 30 years and never had any problems - the top end of town where the Sheesh is is a bit quiet and dark but again had no problems walking up there weekly to the folk club for many years. The International is close to the Uni & College so that area is busier and fine as well

Reply to: Curry suggestions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bradford