We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worthing or Brighton?

Scotland, UK
Level Contributor
76 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Worthing or Brighton?

Some advice please - we will be visiting for one night from Scotland and don't know the area at all. We have to be at Worthing Leisure Centre in the evening but will have the Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning and afternoon to see as much of the area as we can.

Should we stay in Worthing and if so are any of the recommended B&B's handy for the leisure centre? (Get the impression the B&B's are better than the hotels from reviews we've read ... fair comment or not?) Should we stay in Brighton instead and just go to Worthing for the game?

Is there somewhere better in between - love seaside towns but not the kind crammed with amusement arcades.

What should we be sure to see in the time available???

Thanks for any suggestions.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worthing or Brighton?

Er, I think it would be fair to say that there is not a great deal to look at in Worthing - shops of the bog standard variety & not a terribly attractive seafront. Perhaps it might be easier (& a bit cheaper maybe, but this is merely a guess) for you to secure a one night booking there than in Brighton....there is quite a common rule of min. two nights over a weekend. Depending on how soon you are talking about - as rooms get booked up very quickly - if you can get a room in Brighton, then I would. Train to Worthing is pretty quick & painless & a taxi back to Brighton, should you miss the last train, will set you back around £20. Off the top of my head, there are 3 Brighton experts who will be along shortly!

If it's any help to you, I did manage to secure a w/end one night booking at One Broad Street, Brighton, not too long ago. It was OK & pretty cheap really - about £75 ish for a double. The only other ones I could find who would accept a one night looked a bit grot.

Scotland, UK
Level Contributor
76 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worthing or Brighton?

Thanks Stoo - just starting to plan trip - not going til March which I guess might be a quiet time for B&B's so hopefully more flexible on the one night thing. We'll have a hire car so no worries on transport.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worthing or Brighton?

Try and get to Arundel - river, castle you can visit, variety of little shops, market on Saturday (not suer about Sunday) very pleasant and well worth a 1/2 day or more if you take a boat trip or get stuck in for a long pub lunch. You could get there by road or rail (you dont say if you will have a car?)

Scotland, UK
Level Contributor
76 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worthing or Brighton?

We've had a rethink and now plan 2 nights so doing Chichester, Arundel and Brighton. Have found John Henry's Inn in Findon Village which looks cute - does anyone know it? How would it be for a 2 night base?

Bognor Regis...
Level Contributor
81 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worthing or Brighton?

It depends really, if you are close to death then Worthing is the place to be, if not Brighton. I live in Bognor Regis and would not reccomend it as a tourist destination. As others have said Chichester and Arundel are both nice towns, The Downs at Goodwood are nice. Brighton is a mix of nice lively city and old fashioned shops, visit the Lanes and if you have time the Pavillion is worth a visit too.

6. Re: Worthing or Brighton?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:21 pm, October 15, 2009
Get answers to your questions about West Sussex