We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westlife Concerts, where to go?

beverly hills...
13 posts
Save Topic
Westlife Concerts, where to go?

Hello all.

I'm from America and my trip to England will be in the early Spring 2007. I am planning on attending a Westlife concert (they are my favourite band and unfortuantely Americans don't know how great they are).

I could use some help on which arena to go see them at. I am looking for a nice, posh area, not too expensive but really nice. What's Nottingham like? How about Birmingham? I heard Newcastle upon Tyne was a good place to go and see them at the Metro Radio Arena. What is Brighton Centre? And is Sheffield a good place to go? Also, what is Bournemouth International Centre? Basically, I'm looking for a nice town to visit that has an arena I can see them at.

Any advice would help. Thanks everyone!

A Westlife Fanatic

Birmingham, England
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westlife Concerts, where to go?

Hiya!

Afaid I can't comment on all the locations - only Nottingham and Birmingham. Am assuming they are at the Concert Hall in Nott'm? If so, is a smallish venue for concerts ranging from classical to pop. The hall is in the city centre. Great city, good shops & restuarants but can get a bit rowdy on a Saturday night.

I live in Birmingham now and it is a much improved city. Great hotels and nightlife, with loads to see and do. If they are playing at the NIA, the arena is a little way outside the centre, but easily walkable. If they are at the NEC however, be aware that that is by the airport and is several miles outside Birmingham city centre. Godd rail links however - takes about 10 mins. If at the NEC, the Metropole hotel would be the obvious choice to stay.

Hope you have a great time wherever you go!

Wiltshire, U.K.
Level Contributor
3,768 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Westlife Concerts, where to go?

"Westlife Concerts, where to go?"

Well, I'm tempted to suggest a psychiatrist but failing that I think you might like Bournemouth. It's a traditional British seaside town with a good shopping center and plenty of bars and restaurants.

You should have no trouble finding accomodation ranging from hotels to bed and breakfast guest houses.

I have never been to Brighton but I expect it would be a similar type of experience.

The other places that you mention are all cities and to be honest I would find it difficult to pick one above another so I would just suggest picking the one which is more convenient for the rest of your holiday. Where else are you planning on visiting in the UK?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westlife Concerts, where to go?

I would recommend Brighton - we recently spent a couple of nights there with our teenagers and we all loved it. It's a seaside town on the south coast, easily reached from London by train. There are lots of really good places to stay and excellent restaurants - there's lots going on there especially if you are young-ish.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westlife Concerts, where to go?

How will this fit in with the rest of your trip? Most of the places you mention are not what people would call "posh" although each of the cities will have "posh" areas.

If you are staying in London you could see them at Wembley Arena while you are there or make a day-trip to Brighton and then see them there in the evening.

For the other venues, you need to make some more plans based around what you want to see (eg if you plan to see Stratford-upon-Avon then the Birmingham NEC is an obvious choice).

beverly hills...
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Westlife Concerts, where to go?

Thanks everyone this is great information. LILLY..Why would you suggest a psychiatrist? I don't think I got the joke, but do people not like Westlife?

Basically, I can go anywhere in England for my vacation. The way I will be choosing where to go and which city to visit is by determining which venue I will see westlife. After I pick a venue, then I guess I'll just make plans to see the city around it. Brighton sounds awesome. I really like beachtowns. I'm 18 so I'm looking for somewhere young-ish. And so does Bournemouth. I could go to the bournemouth international centre since they're playing there. I just don't want a mega huge arena like I have the dvd when westlife are at manchester evening arena or wheatever it is and its toooo massive. So I could pick any town, its really pretty random. Thanks for all your suggestions, I don't know anything about england. But i love BBCAmerica!

beverly hills...
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Westlife Concerts, where to go?

By the way, what is Stratford-upon-Avon?

Wiltshire, U.K.
Level Contributor
3,768 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Westlife Concerts, where to go?

Nothing wrong with Westlife if you like that sort of thing... I'm just not a fan myself.

(Oh to be 18 again. Enjoy it while you can!)

Stratford-Upon-Avon is the town where Shakespeare was born. You can copy and paste this into your browser to read about it.

http://www.stratford.co.uk/about.asp

Personally, I think you might be better off at Brighton or Bournemouth.

Why not post a couple of questions in the Brighton and Bournemouth forums if you want to find out a bit more about what there is to do there?

The other places you mention are industrial type cities. There is probably something nice at each place but I'm not sure I would want to come all the way from the US to spend a week or so there.

Are you planning on driving over here? If you are going to rely on public transport you might be better off in Brighton... Easy to get to and from London to do some sight seeing.

Maybe Newcastle would be my next choice.

If you fancy a bit of a tour around England you could do London, (I'm sure you could find somethng to entertain you in London!) and then York, (lots of history, lots to do, beautiful old city) then Newcastle, (for the concert and some great nightlife). Easy to do this tour by train.

How long are you planning on spending over here?

Sorry! Can't help you with arena sizes etc.

You might be better off posting questions in each of the specific forums as people in, say, Brighton or Newcastle probably won't be reading this.

8. Re: Westlife Concerts, where to go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, August 21, 2009