We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel advice/suggestions for concert at Ricoh Arena

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel advice/suggestions for concert at Ricoh Arena

Hi.

We are traveling from London to Coventry to see the Springsteen show in a few weeks. We are trying to figure out a central location to stay at where we can enjoy Birmingham but not be too far away so it won't cost a fortune with a cab to see the concert (no car.)

Looking for advice on:

1. Hotel suggestions

2. Transportation options between Coventry and Birmingham

3. Better to stay in Coventry or better to stay in Birmingham

We are looking for something reasonably priced, clean and central located. 1st time for all of us in your far city and looking to enjoy it and the surrounding area.

Thanks for your help.

Aston
Destination Expert
for Salou, Costa Dorada
Level Contributor
3,791 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel advice/suggestions for concert at Ricoh Arena

Hi... this is an old timer who used to visit Rochester, MN at least twice a year in the 80's and 90's. We ventured into Minneapolis a few times on our rest days. I hope the old town is still as good as it was then!

Onto Cov or Brum! Personally I would stay in Brum. The Ricoh is outside of Coventry city centre near the M6 motorway. I would get the shuttle service (£5 per person return) or taxi (about £12) from Coventry train station to the Ricoh. Coventry station is a short trip from Birmingham.

New Street or Snow Hill stations in Birmingham are right in the centre and the choice of hotels is huge depending upon budget. Lots to do as well. Have a great time.

Birmingham
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel advice/suggestions for concert at Ricoh Arena

I can’t say whether it’s better to stay in Coventry (a city I don’t know terribly well) or Birmingham (a city I know very well) but inevitably, I would opt for Birmingham as it’s a much bigger city with enough to keep you all entertained for your stay.

The transport has been detailed above.

Hotel options – good quality but budget hotel chains - Premier Inn and Travelodge have several locations. I really like the Premier Inn Waterloo St., It’s location is near New Street Station and well located for nightlife and tourist attractions.

Ramada In The Mailbox is another good option with lots of bars and restaurants nearby.

If you want to be near to lots of nightlife, Jury’s inn, Hampton by Hilton, Travelodge and Premier Inn all have hotels on Broad Street

If you let us know what interests you then people will make suggestions for how to spend your time during your stay.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel advice/suggestions for concert at Ricoh Arena

Wonderful to hear from a Minnesota Expat...laughing. You would not recognize either Rochester or Minneapolis (or St. Paul for that matter.) All 3 cities have grown significantly and all for the better. Mayo is planning a huge transformation...with IBM all but shut down, it would be a huge plus for the town.

I appreciate your feedback as looking for hotel options, I think they weren't looking too impressive. I think we'll take the virgin train up from London on the 19th and stay until the 21st. One question - any idea how late the shuttles run on a Thursday night? I'm guessing the concert will end around 11pm, so we'll have to make in the shuttle back to the train back to Bum? Correct? (You know us Minnesotan's...all for a sense of adventure but always like to know what to expect as much as possible!!)

Aston
Destination Expert
for Salou, Costa Dorada
Level Contributor
3,791 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel advice/suggestions for concert at Ricoh Arena

The shuttles will run until the Ricoh is emptied. Trains from Cov to Brum after 11pm leave at 23:25, 23:30, 00:17 and 01:20. The Boss is notorious for finishing late so it could be one of the last two trains!

By the way its Brum not Bum! Bum is limey for Butt! lol

IBM almost shut down! I'm shocked... thats who we worked for and visited. I see from Google that they are moving manufacturing to Mexico and blaming the climate. Even though it was cold we always worked and played hard in the town. The Big Blue locals were great fun and always looked after us.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel advice/suggestions for concert at Ricoh Arena

Thanks so much, your feedback is great and I will look for hotels in those areas.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel advice/suggestions for concert at Ricoh Arena

Sorry my "English" is so bad!

This is why we chose to go to the show in Coventry...in London they pull the plug after 11 no matter if he's playing with Sir Paul or not (thanks to Boris for that great stroke of genius!) We hope he gives us a 4 hour performance!

Aston
Destination Expert
for Salou, Costa Dorada
Level Contributor
3,791 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel advice/suggestions for concert at Ricoh Arena

Aha... I have just noticed Bruce will be playing on the 35th anniversary of his Tunnel of Love tour dates at Villa Park on 21st/22nd June 1988. Over 60,000 turned up I think. Villa Park is the Premier home ground of Aston Villa FC and would have probably been a better venue now rather than the Ricoh. Some vintage 1988 clips here:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLPJR6LC8pg

8. Re: Hotel advice/suggestions for concert at Ricoh Arena

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:35 am, June 05, 2013
Aston
Destination Expert
for Salou, Costa Dorada
Level Contributor
3,791 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel advice/suggestions for concert at Ricoh Arena

Got a 5 star review in the local paper. See here:-

birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/music/review-b…

10. Re: Hotel advice/suggestions for concert at Ricoh Arena

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 23, 2014