We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Birmingham International to London Heathrow

Perth, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
Travel from Birmingham International to London Heathrow

What is the best way to get from Birmingham International Airport to London Heathrow? And, is there still a monorail which runs from Birmingham airport to the railway station in Birmingham, as he would like to drop his hire car off there beforehand? My husband is in the UK at the minute, visiting family due to berevement. We haven't lived in the UK for 9 years, and are unsure of these details. He needs to be at Heathrow Airport, terminal 3, at 8.00 pm latest, next Saturday 22 September. I'm looking for trains which will arrive at Heathrow just before this time. Many thanks. Sylvia

1. Re: Travel from Birmingham International to London Heathrow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:43 am, April 17, 2016
Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Birmingham International to London Heathrow

Why not drop off the car at Heathrow ?

London
Level Contributor
10,172 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Birmingham International to London Heathrow

This is not an easy journey by train. If he's got a rental car, it seems an awful lot easier to switch the car return to Heathrow.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Birmingham International to London Heathrow

If he's really determined to get a train, then from BHX either:

- change at Oxford or Reading, then Slough, then Hayes & Harlington, or

- change at Oxford for the bus to Heathrow (requires a half mile walk from railway to bus station, but it's less messy than the train changes )

Both are less awful than the train to Euston, tube to Green Park then an endless subterranean walk to the Piccadilly Line.

But I really can't see why he doesn't just drive to Heathrow. The M42/M40/M25/M4 is almost pretty in many parts.

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,568 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Birmingham International to London Heathrow

The easiest journey by train/bus (at least in my view) would be Birmingham International-Reading by train and then RailAir bus from Reading station forecourt to Heathrow.

The train timetable is here:

crosscountrytrains.co.uk/media/76269/manches…

The bus timetable is at www.railair.com

Perth, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Birmingham International to London Heathrow

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. I will check it out and pass on the details when I speak to my husband later today. I really appreciate you providing me with this information. Kind Regards, Sylvia

Perth, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from Birmingham International to London Heathrow

Hi, yes, dropping off his car at Heathrow is what he is meant to do, and it is the obvious thing to do, but he just wanted to look at alternatives, as he has 2 huge flights and then a big drive once he gets back to Australia. Many thanks for your reply. Sylvia

Perth, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel from Birmingham International to London Heathrow

Thank you everyone for your wonderful replies. I will pass these onto my husband when I speak to him and then he can decide what he wants to do. Not living in the UK for quite sometime, you become quite disorientated when you return, but so glad I found this site and really appreciate everyones responses. Kind Regards, Sylvia

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
318 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel from Birmingham International to London Heathrow

Not to piggyback on your thread, but what did your husband decide in the end and how did it work out for him? I'm looking at a trip from B'ham to Heathrow myself in the coming weeks, just looking at all options.

10. Re: Travel from Birmingham International to London Heathrow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, September 27, 2013