We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birmingham's best comedy night?

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,125 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Birmingham's best comedy night?

It's probably unfair because The Glee remains very good with high quality acts on a regular basis, but the fortnightly comedy nights at The Hare & Hounds in Kings Heath are highly recommended for live comedy fans.

They get a number of reasonably big names from the stand-up circuit at bargain prices, often because they are trying out new material. The venue is tiny, with room for perhaps 100 people (I don't know, I haven't counted) which makes for an intimate experience with plenty of opportunities to interact with the performers if they are into that sort of thing. They've re-started after a break for the holidays with Rob Rouse up next on 20th September and Anrew O'Neill on 4th October. We're out of the country for Rob Rouse but hope to get to see Andrew O'Neill.

Become a member and you can get in for less than a fiver! Give it a try before it becomes legendary.

Listings here ...

hareandhoundskingsheath.co.uk/event-listings/

They do a lot of live music, too.

Mentioned in this post
Kings Heath Park
Kings Heath Park
102 Reviews
Birmingham, UK
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Birmingham's best comedy night?

hope folks don't think I am being negative about Bromsgrove in my previous post; I like the place and would like to think that I have made a few friends with folks down there. I would like to relocate, but am prevented from doing so by economics and the transport situation as I am not able to drive.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,125 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Birmingham's best comedy night?

I'm sure it wasn't taken that way, lofty.

This week's act at the Hare & Hounds is Patrick Monahan. We'd like to see him but we'll be in Spain birdwatching (well, not at 10 o'clock at night, but you know what I mean).

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,125 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Birmingham's best comedy night?

Ian D Monfort and Ivan Brackenbury this Thursday who I believe are two very different facets of the same person. Think we'll be there.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,125 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Birmingham's best comedy night?

Superb night last night with the "two" main acts either side of Steven Dodd, an up and coming old-school style comic who has a few really funny jokes. The one about "How do you plan your meals?" is priceless but if you want to know the answer you'll have to go and see him.

Full house last night with people possibly being turned away. I told you it could become legendary.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,125 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Birmingham's best comedy night?

This Thursday sees an appearance by Christain Reilly, comedian and musician who is said to appeal to fans of Bill Bailey and Rich Hall. sounds like a lot to live up to so I suspect we'll give him a try.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,125 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Birmingham's best comedy night?

Yet another successful night with Christian Reilly often hilarious for a disappointingly small but appreciative crowd. Julie even got "serenaded".

That's it for 2012. The season restarts in February 2013 and hopefully I'll provide some updates when the listings are available.

We'll have to see who's on at the Glee for our comedy fixes now.

Edited: 8:29 am, November 30, 2012
Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,125 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Birmingham's best comedy night?

If anybody who reads this has attended the Hare & Hounds for any Live entertainment (they have music on almost every night) they might be interested to learn that the venue feels that it might be threatened to the point of losing its licence by a proposed small residential development.

There's a petition to sign via the website on the first post should you want to voice support for this venue that provides great entertainment for visitors and locals alike.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,125 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Birmingham's best comedy night?

The first show of the Winter Season is now on the H&H website. Diane Spencer. I can honestly say that I've never heard of her (sorry Diane) but we'll probably go along anyway.

Hopefully there will be more listings soon.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,125 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Birmingham's best comedy night?

I've had an e-mail to confirm that the season will run from tomorrow until the early summer, so if you're in B'ham on one of those alternative Thursdays and fancy a bit of comedy then get down to Kings Heath.

There are now shows on the events page for 7th and 21st March. We're seeing Mark Thomas at the Glee on the 7th but will almost certainly be there on 21st.

I've had a look at some if Diane Spencer's stuff on youtube and it is definitely in the adult entertainment category.

Mentioned in this post
Kings Heath Park
Kings Heath Park
102 Reviews
Birmingham, UK
Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,125 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Birmingham's best comedy night?

Again a disappointingly small audience for some serious entertainment. Ms Spencer was highly enjoyable and it is alway interesting (for me at least) to see the creative process in action and witness the artists reaction to the audience's responses to new material.