We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay. Thomas Land

Ireland
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay. Thomas Land

2adults & 4 children goin Thomas Land for midterm from Dublin into Bermingham..is train the best route from airport into city then catch a cab or taxi from airport..or stay in an airport hotel.?

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,925 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay. Thomas Land

It is not clear from your question what you are exactly asking.

For example this sentence is a little confusing:

>>>>..is train the best route from airport into city then catch a cab or taxi from airport

Are you looking for advice on the best place to book a hotel (airport or city centre), or the best way to GET to ThomasLand (or both)?

Can you tell us how long you are here for, how many days you want to go to ThomasLand, and if you are going anywhere else in the area?

ThomasLand is part of Drayton Manor, and this is about 14 miles North of Birmingham airport. It is also about the same distance from the centre of Birmingham.

Unfortunately DraytonManor is in the middle of nowhere so you may need to get a taxi from your hotel (wherever it is).

I believe there is a bus service to Drayton Manor but I have never used it. The nearest train station is Tamworth.

The Drayton Manor web site does have a list of hotels nearby (see below), and I would say the Holiday Inn Express Tamworth would be the nearest / best, unless you want to stay nearer the centre of Birmingham.

www.draytonmanor.co.uk/where-to-stay.php

Note the airport is rather isolated, so if you stay in an airport hotel there is almost nothing to do near there.

If you stay at the Tamworth hotel you could get a taxi (or bus / train) from the airport when you arrive, direct to Tamworth.

Note the Holiday Inn Tamworth is next to Tamworth SnowDome AND a large shopping centre so plenty to do.

http://www.snowdome.co.uk/

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,925 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay. Thomas Land

And to answer your specific question about getting from airport to city centre (if you need to).

Birmingham airport is right next to Birmingham International Train station (they are a few hundred yards apart and a small free "train" links them together).

From Birmingham International Train station is it one stop into New Street station which is in the centre of Birmingham.

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
18,567 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay. Thomas Land

As the above poster says Thomas Land is part of Drayton Manor which is actually in Fazeley (as the locals would say). If you intend to visit over a couple of days then I suggest staying in Tamworth centre which is only around 4 miles away. There are several hotels that would accommodate you with the closest being the Drayton Court Hotel. Have only driven past this hotel and not actually stayed there I cannot comment on the quality. This hotel is within walking distance of Drayton Manor (although be aware that the Manor does have a very long drive).

Tamworth town centre has numerous shops and we also have an out of town shopping centre called Ventura Park which is very popular and holds some of the major stores.

I would get a taxi from the airport into Tamworth (around £25) and arrange accommodation in this area especially if you are staying overnight. I wouldn't want to be commuting back to Birmingham unless it was to catch a flight.

Ireland
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay. Thomas Land

Sorry my message wasn't clear at all..flyin in2 Birmingham Sun lunchtime then hope 2 hav 2 days in Thomas Land Park Mon & Tues.. flyin home Tues nite..might do some shopping Sunday..so just wondering where 2 stay not to be travelling too much with 4 small children..maybe apartments ?

Thanks !

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
18,567 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay. Thomas Land

Can't think of any apartments in the Tamworth area for two nights. I would have thought you'd be looking in Birmingham for this type of accommodation then you'd have to commute each day. Tamworth offers a good range of shops but nowhere near the choice of Birmingham city centre.

Not wanting to put a damper on the Thomas Land trip but it is not a massive area inside Dayton Manor and can comfortably be visited with rides on everything within one day. Perhaps one day at Thomas Land for the children and a day in B'ham for the adults.

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,925 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay. Thomas Land

Thanks for the update, that makes it a bit clearer. However my answers above still apply.

I should say that I am not sure what you are expecting from ThomasLand, but it is only a small part of Drayton Manor park and only has about 7 fairly small rides.

That is not to say kids dont love it, they do. I went with some young children when it first opened and the look on their face when they saw Thomas and the other characters was wonderful.

Also the whole ThomasLand area has been "themed" very well so it is a magical place for kids.

However while Drayton Manor has many rides, and a zoo (so there is plenty to do), ThomasLand itself is not huge so you can go on all the rides in ThomasLand in a couple of hours or so if it is not too crowded.

Note: If you go at busy times the queues can be VERY long for the rides. Most of the rides are small and only take a few people so they queues can build up quite quickly.

Not trying to put you off, but if you have young children and are going at a busy time be prepared to queue.

Edited: 4:50 pm, January 04, 2011
Solihull
Level Contributor
4,925 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay. Thomas Land

So you are flying in Sunday lunchtime, want to do some shopping Sunday, then go to Drayton Manor Monday and Tuesday, then fly home Tuesday.

As DaisyEngland says, maybe 2 days in Drayton Manor is too much so maybe just do the Monday in Drayton Manor and Tuesday shopping. There is a huge shopping centre, the BullRing, in central Birmingham.

But you still have the problem of WHERE to stay, in Birmingham, near the airport, or in Tamworth.

If you decide to do Drayton Manor only the ONE day, on the Monday, then I would stay in an airport hotel or in central Birmingham so you only have the one long trip out to Drayton Manor and are near the shops on Sunday and Tuesday (if you go shopping both days).

If you decide to do Drayton Manor on TWO days, Monday and Tuesday, then I would stay out at Tamworth as you will have a much shorter trip from your hotel to Drayton Manor park.

You can then leave the park mid afternoon Tuesday to get back to your hotel quickly, pick up your stuff, and get to the airport for your evening flight.

Tamworth, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
486 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay. Thomas Land

From brum airport to tamworth around £30 by cab. From brum airport to tamworth train is cheaper but you change in Birmingham. You then still have to get to drayton manor , which is another three miles or so. There us also a 757 bus that operates from airport to tamworth. There are plenty of country hotels and b&b's around drayton manor; not exactly cheap. There are also places like holiday inn express in tamworth. Drayton manor is definitely 100% not a two day experience. Tamworth is not a bad place to stay. Most hotels should offer some kind of shuttle to drayton manor. In tamworth there are shops, indoor snow dome, cinema, parks with ducks, rivers and playgrounds and also bowling, cinema, lazer tag etc. Fazeley which is right by the park has canals to stroll along and the most ridiculous proportion of restaurants to population I have ever seen. On the traffic island of this small village there are at least 8 places to eat and all good stuff too; from fish n chips to fancy undo Chinese fusion cuisine. Enjoy the trip. Other places you could stay may be sutton coldfield which has bus links to tamworth?

9. Re: Where to stay. Thomas Land

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, February 04, 2012