We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Relaxed Dining

Which Stratford-upon-Avon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Relaxed Dining

Hi

I'm staying in Stratford for a week later in the year. I am looking for places to eat that are reasonably informal as I am a very relaxed jeans and a nice top kind of person. I would describe myself as a real foody so enjoy well cooked local produce. I am looking for places in the centre of Stratford. I like places that have light airy interiors as my hubby has eyesight problems. Either good pubs or restaurants are fine for me. I do know Stratford although I haven't visited for quite some time now.

Thanks for your help.

Suzi

Thanks

UK
Level Contributor
327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Relaxed Dining

Hi Suzi

You might struggle for light any airy as most of the places in the centre are in old traditional buildings.

What is your rough budget for a main course so I can advise!

Where are you staying have you booked it yet? as can try and make sure its your side of town.

Most places are relaxed and jeans and a top if fine virtually everywhere.

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Relaxed Dining

Hi

Thanks for your help. I did wonder about the buildings but, if I book in advance, I can possibly get a table in the window in some places.

We both love walking so anywhere is fine, just don't want to travel to outside villages. We are staying at Bridgefoot so are near to everything really.

I'm really happy to hear that places are so relaxed, it makes dining out so much more enjoyable. I don't mind paying around £20.00 for a main course. That seems pretty reasonable. Good well cooked food is worth paying for. My hubby likes his steak and big gamey flavours. I like game, chicken and fish and some limited seafood but don't eat beef at all so a steakhouse would only be ok if there were other choices. Love Italian, British, French, Mediterranean but nevee fancy Chinese or Indian for eating out.

Thanks for any suggestions you can come up with.

Suzi

Edited: 12:41 pm, April 04, 2014
UK
Level Contributor
327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Relaxed Dining

Hi

For £20 for a main course you should be able to eat most places in Stratford. Most places cater for tourists the ones I recommend are very good but not stunning but they are the best in Stratford "IMHO"

As you are staying at Bridgefoot that's the end of town where our B&B is. I assume you are staying at either Swan

s Nest or Alverston Manor!

The restaurant Bistrot Pierre in the Swans Nest is pretty good and has a nice open terrace lots of windows.

Loxleys is our favourite restaurant in town lots of seasonal dishes bold flavours and good service.

Vintner, Lambs and The Oppo all owned by the same people serve good food but can get a little busy and rushed, sometimes you feel like a number.

No. 9 is a formal dining place good cooking if you want something a little lest traditional and more technical.

El Greco is a nice Greek if you fancy a tapas style dinner or lunch.

HR Coffee serve the best coffee in town and also have great savouries and sandwiches.

That's all I can think at the moment

If you are seduced by steaks maybe avoid The Lazy Cow we have tried it a few time and although we enjoyed the burgers the service is horrendous we have walked out twice without even ordering and have vowed never to go back also their steaks although good quality are very expensive and not always cooked right and their beer tastes like the never clean their lines.

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Relaxed Dining

Wow, thank you so much for all the information. A few to add to my list there and a few to cross off. I had considered The Lazy Cow as my hubby likes that kind of food for a change but I think I will give it a wide berth. I cannot stand anywhere with bad service and, as for the rest of what you mention, not for me.

I've read reviews and added places to my trip but I just wanted a heads up on finding places to eat that were relaxed and not stuffy. I really liked the look of Bistro Pierre so that's good that you like it there.

Thanks for your help.

Suzi

5. Re: Relaxed Dining

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, April 06, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Stratford-upon-Avon