We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to estimate distance in travel

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Trying to estimate distance in travel

Sometimes looking at a map is deceiving as we don't know how long it takes to make our way through towns. Is anyone aware how long it would take to get from Hampton Court in Herefordshire to Stratford-upon-Avon?

Thank you kindly for this help.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Trying to estimate distance in travel

Thanks again gecko. Believe it or not we're heading out of Peebles Scotland early one morning and ending up in Stratford in the afternoon. Yes, living in Canada we are very used to driving long distances.Whenever I mention a long day of driving to Brits they tend to always cringe. We think nothing of driving for 8-10 hours in a day to get somewhere.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Trying to estimate distance in travel

The real difference about day-long drives is that in Britain the driving is stressful (narrow roads, lack of shoulders, congestion) and will leave you exhausted after a day of it, whereas in North America the 300-mile road trip is taken on for the fun of it.

~~on the road again~~

Somerset, England
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Trying to estimate distance in travel

If you want to know where Hampton Court Gardens is, look at www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf…

252491&st=OSGrid&lu=N&tl=~&ar=y&bi=~&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf

The url needs to be pasted together, as it had more than 140 characters!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Trying to estimate distance in travel

Britfan ~> You're right. But I believe Michelin accounts for the speed limits and hazzards on the smaller roads when you are finding the distances. I've found their site to be very helpful. Thanks for reminding me of that though because it could be discouraging if you weren't aware of the slower roads and hazzards.

Kuhal ~> Thank a million for those sites the maps are excellent.

Get answers to your questions about Stratford-upon-Avon