We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stratford to Tewkesbury by Narrow Boat

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
1 post
124 reviews
Save Topic
Stratford to Tewkesbury by Narrow Boat

Have you thought about taking a trip on England's waterways?

If you are young at heart, and love a low-key adventure you cannot really do better than hiring your own narrow boat and cruising gently down the Avon from Stratford to Tewkesbury. The trip can be completed confortably in 6 days. The river scenery is......constant eye candy. There are picturesque towns to explore along the way such as Bidford, Evesham and Pershore. No prior knowledge of handling a narrow boat is necessary, me, my wife and two friends, all Americans in our 60's had a lot of fun negotiating the modest number of locks we encountered in the 80-mile round trip. And starting and finishing in Stratford is the icing on the cake (we even managed to see an RSC production on the last night).

I am sure that there are plenty of reputable firms that will hire you a boat. We used Valley Cruises www.valleycruises.co.uk and found them wonderfully helpful. Their boat was immaculate, and couldn't have been better equipped.

We cruised in september when the crowds were lighter but the weather was still pleasant. There is nothing better than sitting in the stern of your narrow boat, eating a bacon and egg sandwich as the early morning sun begins to get warm.

I noticed that there were some earlier postings on the topic of canal/river holidays but none in the last year or so. Having just come back from a wonderful trip I wanted to let people know what a great vacation option this is.

Gloucestershire
Level Contributor
177 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stratford to Tewkesbury by Narrow Boat

I'm glad you had a good trip. We live in Tewkesbury and are also keen boaters so I would second your comments!

We have a shared-ownership boat (far and away the most economical way to do it if you like to have boating holidays every year) and did this trip as part of a longer cruise a couple of years ago. The River Avon is a bit different to the canal system but very pretty and we had the added pleasure of hosting a party for our friends when we got to our home town.

In these stressful days there is nothing like floating along at 4mph to soothe the soul :-)

Edited: 5:35 am, October 11, 2011
2. Re: Stratford to Tewkesbury by Narrow Boat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 pm, October 26, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Stratford-upon-Avon